Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA secured to unsecured questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA secured to unsecured questions

Obtained the secured card 1/17. Chose it because it can graduate to unsecured. In 1/17 my scores were horrid (sub 600 but I had no active accounts) - spent 2017 growing my card portfolio - up to 10 cards (5 major & 5 retail). Baddies will all be gone from reports in May. Will have clean reports with 100% on time. About 6-7 inquiries on each and low AAoA (probably 8 mo).

FICO for EX currently 706 with 2 baddies left, TU is clean & EQ has 2 baddies. I get FICOs for the different bureaus free thru cards or banks so I am not paying to pull w/o a very good reason.

Has anyone had this card graduate? Did they leave the limit or reduce it?

BTW, I have paid the balance in full every month, and many times took it to zero.
I have a $1500 deposit that I would like back.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: BofA secured to unsecured questions

Hmmm, BoA secured cards usually graduate on their own in 1 year, I got mine unsecured around 8 months by calling.

Try calling this number: 800-824-5895 (secured & partially secured accts.).

I just had the minimum $300 deposit and CL remained the same at unsecuring, today the CL is $1800 from auto CLIs.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dave.

Do they do another pull & which bureau?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, transunion hard pull if you want CLI
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be very happy if they left it at $1500 for now & returned my deposit. My TU has no baddies and 100% payment (2 baddies on the other 2 dropping Mar-May)
Message 5 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

wrote:
I'd be very happy if they left it at $1500 for now & returned my deposit. My TU has no baddies and 100% payment (2 baddies on the other 2 dropping Mar-May)

Yeah, no hard pull for unsecuring, just if you request CLI. I wasted a couple HPs requesting a CLI, and for me it was a mix of TU & EX. Now I just let them auto CLI - which isn't very often, but I pretty much just use for 3% gas rewards and as my car get 37 mpg I don't spend a ton on gas, so an occasional auto CLI is fine for me.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Dave!

After calling (and having to get a little pushy) - they did a 'review' and unsecured the card. Money to be returned to my checking account. They still want to charge the AF. Will contact CS in a day or so to discuss that.
Message 7 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

wrote:
Thank you Dave!

After calling (and having to get a little pushy) - they did a 'review' and unsecured the card. Money to be returned to my checking account. They still want to charge the AF. Will contact CS in a day or so to discuss that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that AF. As I recall that took a 2nd call to get it removed.

Congrats in getting the card unsecured! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

TransUnion is what they pull. I called and requested since I'm at month 11. Got denied. I've tried 3 times actually. Your report sounds much better than mine though so you will have a chance lol. Good luck.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the change to unsecured. TU is clean - squeaky clean. I either pay the balance due in full or the card balance in full every month. I have yet to pay any interest on a card since beginning to rebuild
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.