cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonus Points - Chase UR Mall (vs. Amex Travel?)

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Bonus Points - Chase UR Mall (vs. Amex Travel?)

I bought a ticket through Chase UR mall and the extra bonus points posted to my account. I spent $976 and 1008 bonus points posted to my account. I went to look at the reasoning and saw that the points were equivalent to 2x the "Ticket Fare" within the receipt - essentially leaving out almost another $500 worth of fuel surcharges, taxes, etc. I booked many flights through Amex Travel for MR points and I think the extra points they gave was just the final line item (although all of them were domestic trips, so they wouldn't have those enormous fuel surcharges).

This is kind of disappointing to me. I can possibly understand that if they have a deal with the airline to give out bonus points, the airline only gives bonus for their ticket fare (although they are getting fuel surcharge too). But at the same time, as far as I see, Chase got to process $976 worth of purchases, not $504.  They list 'transaction amount' as $504 (of which they list $504 as 'qualifying amount') but how is that accurate?

Is this the way it normally works for Chase UR mall or plane tickets? Am I remembering incorrectly, or does Amex (and maybe others) does work differently in giving bonus travel points? Am I missing something in understanding this?

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bonus Points - Chase UR Mall (vs. Amex Travel?)

I guess "Please review each merchant's Offer Details page for any additional merchant offer exclusions." is a catch-all there, so, I'm pretty sure they're fine per the fine print....

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.