Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booking Travel Through AMEX.com

tag
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

Booking Travel Through AMEX.com

Are there any benefits to booking travel through AMEX if you do not have a charge card? I see that you can get 2x MR points, but are there incentives for other cardmembers that book travel through them? Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: Booking Travel Through AMEX.com

@getmycreditright wrote:

Are there any benefits to booking travel through AMEX if you do not have a charge card? I see that you can get 2x MR points, but are there incentives for other cardmembers that book travel through them? Thanks.

Do you mean AMEX Cardmembers? If so, any member (or ACM) who books through AMEX with a card enrolled in MR will get the 2X points. AFAIK, if the card (even an AMEX card) is not enrolled , there is no special incentive.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 2 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I've never booked a flight through Amex travel, so I don't know what it is like if there are disruptions, but in general, I only use an online travel agent, Orbitz, Expedia, etc. if I can't book the ticket directly through the airline for the same price.  It's so much easier if there is a problem to be able to deal with the airline without having to call Expedia as well.  So I would expect that if you are not getting the MR benefit, there is a disadvantage to booking through Amex, but I can't speak from experience.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@getmycreditright wrote:

I've actually  booked a flight through AMEX Travel for my daughter and the flight costs are comparable to other travel sites such as Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. Additionally,  I've been looking specifically at cruises and they seem to be very competitive with the prices of cruises through all the major cruise lines. 

Message 4 of 7
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

The AMEX Travel site is powered by Travelocity. So, other than 2x points, there's no other benefit.

FHR and PTS is another story (for Plat/Cent cardholders). Although hit-or-miss at times, I have found FHR to be quite a benefit several times.

Message 5 of 7
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@getmycreditright wrote:

Do you mean AMEX Cardmembers? If so, any member (or ACM) who books through AMEX with a card enrolled in MR will get the 2X points. AFAIK, if the card (even an AMEX card) is not enrolled , there is no special incentive.

Yes other AMEX cardmembers. I wanted to book a trip with my SPG, but SPG doesn't have MR points. I guess my question was could I get 2X starpoints for booking through AMEX? Probably not though since it's not advertised.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 6 of 7
RonDawg
Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@getmycreditright wrote:

I don't know how many times I have booked Hotels though them and been cheated out of the bonus points.  For some reason everytime I book through their site I end up having to call them and demand my bonus points. Not sure what they need to do to get this fixed. At this point I have some good cash back cards that in the end will give me more in the short term then AmEx PRG will give me in the long term.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.