Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boosting internal score

tag
Shock
Established Contributor

Boosting internal score

So my AMEX BCE has about a 5k balance on a 0% intro period. I paid off my car loan with it. I have been reluctant to spend on it since I'm trying to bring it down. My question is, will be internal score be higher if I spend a little and pay it down at the same time, or would it make a difference if I didn't spend and just paid it down?

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Boosting internal score

@Shock wrote:

So my AMEX BCE has about a 5k balance on a 0% intro period. I paid off my car loan with it. I have been reluctant to spend on it since I'm trying to bring it down. My question is, will be internal score be higher if I spend a little and pay it down at the same time, or would it make a difference if I didn't spend and just paid it down?

I don't believe it matters too much; as long as you're paying it down and on time every month!

Personally I've been utilizing my 0% on purchases until December, so I still occasionally charge on the card and then pay the new balance like an installment so it's PIF by the time the 0% is up!

Message 2 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I don't think anyone can provide conclusive evidence one way or another.  All we can really say is that your odds are probably better with lower utilization.  5/16.6 is right at ~30%.

Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

I don't think anyone can provide conclusive evidence one way or another.  All we can really say is that your odds are probably better with lower utilization.  5/16.6 is right at ~30%.

The thing about internal scores are nobody really knows anything about them. Just probably do your best keep util low and thats all you really can do I think 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 8
Shock
Established Contributor

Points noted. But there's something about paying down the balance vs paying down the balancd and swiping at the same time.

I mean, youre supposed to swipe and pay off month after month, and your internal score goes up? But if youre not swiping and just paying down the balance, I would assume the internal score is stagnant until the large balance is paid off.

Unless I'm completely wrong?

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 5 of 8
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Shock wrote:

Points noted. But there's something about paying down the balance vs paying down the balancd and swiping at the same time.

I mean, youre supposed to swipe and pay off month after month, and your internal score goes up? But if youre not swiping and just paying down the balance, I would assume the internal score is stagnant until the large balance is paid off.

Unless I'm completely wrong?

From what I've read, AMEX prefers PIF, but they offer 0% intro for a reason. The majority of AMEX cards are issued by AMEX, so they make a killing on swipe fees. My guess is that they want to see regular usage, but keep utilization in check.

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 6 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

The thing about internal scores are nobody really knows anything about them. Just probably do your best keep util low and thats all you really can do I think 

Exactly.  If everyone had access to such proprietary information then everyone would be able to tweak it to their advantage.

Message 7 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

I'm still reeling. You paid off your car loan with credit card. .  I understand down payment. But loan. Wow

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.