Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borrowing my way out of debt...

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Borrowing my way out of debt...

Ziploc + CC's + water + freezer = faster payoff

If you have to thaw them out to use them you'll think twice about using them.  As for paying your taxes on them..... Sounds like you need to look at your W-4 elections and adjust them to withold the correct amount.

You can consolidate things but, what's the point if you can't keep yourself from adding to the debt pile?

There's the option to enter a repayment plan with the IRS when you file if you can't pay the whole amount up front as well. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/payment-plans-installment-agreements

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

joe - your story sounds like mine, especially getting suckered by One Main.  Reading it made me have deja vu.  I, too, will be filing BK (ch 13 because I have a house and auto that I want to save/keep).  I would also agree with you on having caution when seeking/applying for personal loans from credit unions.  I have had a pretty good experience with the three that I dealt with, though.

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good advice.  The Ziploc statement made me LOL (because it's so TRUE). Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 22
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I can't remember where I heard it but, it kills those spur of the moment decisions to charge things up.  It also keeps you from using them while paying them off.  The other method would be shredding them and not requesting a replacement until they're paid down.  Either way you have to lose them from your wallet and live on cash if you're having an issue paying things off.  

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

I can't remember where I heard it but, it kills those spur of the moment decisions to charge things up.  It also keeps you from using them while paying them off.  The other method would be shredding them and not requesting a replacement until they're paid down.  Either way you have to lose them from your wallet and live on cash if you're having an issue paying things off.  

What would be the equivalent, though, for items like the Amazon Store Card which aren't actually physical cards but are incorporated directly into your overall store (or other) account upon approval?

Message 15 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IKneadTheCredit: Thanks for the detailed response. I put the taxes on my CC because I was so afraid of the IRS coming after me and garnishing my bank accounts. Everything I read said "dont mess with the irs". I did not think it through logically and realize that the max penalty would have been 25% and that the IRS doesn't come after small fish like me with such furacity. I've basically paid 40% now over the two years plus the 2% fee for putting it on my CC Smiley Indifferent 

As for my scores, right now I am at TU: 652 EQ: 643 . I feel really bummed that I am at a point where I cannot even get new credit at a low APR (car loan) but technically I have never missed a payment Smiley Sad 

OP you might have been able to "settle" with the IRS, but they would still expect big payments, so you either end up paying penalties plus interest, or doing the CC payment thing. Water under the bridge. 

Can you list out the credit cards cards you Have? Bank, card brand limit and amount owed. 

I would not not go to the Discover loan. There is probably another up-front-fee, and while Discover is better than many, the APR is not doing you any favors.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

What would be the equivalent, though, for items like the Amazon Store Card which aren't actually physical cards but are incorporated directly into your overall store (or other) account upon approval?

Amazon actually sent me a card, and no its not the Visa.  Its the store card.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My relationship with CCs was similar thru my 20s. I'd get a card, it would be extra money until I hit 90% then it's stay dormant with minimum payments while I went back to living thru my debit.

If utilization is really the only thing holding your scores down then you're in better shape then most. Spend a year with only your debit and a budget, and you should have decent utilization again. Then once that is under control swap the CC for the debit and treat it the same to include payments to the card for the balance you normally run thru your debit that process every payday. The last piece worked for my brain once I finally got my uti under control. My bank account pretty much only shows my CC payment and rent. The rest is on my card and it essentially pays itself.
Message 18 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I was recently pre-approved for a 15k Discover Loans personal loan to pay off 2 credit cards. The cards in question are at 17.99%/11k and 12.99%/4k. I have ran out of credit card companies to balance transfer from over the past 7 years, basically. I have been carrying a balance of around 20k on my cards (one 5k is still at 0% for a year) for 2 years now after paying taxes two year in a row with them. I have no derogatory remarks at all on my CR. Just high utilization. The Discover Personal Loan was approved at an insulting 17.99% originally but I said I was going to shop around mentioning a few other personal loan companies and I was transferred to another department which gave me 15.99%. The question here is: Would it be better to transfer the debt to this personal loan (or any personal loan company like SoFi, LendingClub, etc) for my credit score or should I just stay the course. I wonder if these personal loan companies are seen as derogatory and desperate. Thanks. 

Yes these consumer finance companies register as a negative on some FICO scoring models.

You're better off with a credit union. Credit unions have better rates, and are not seen as a negative.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that the two previous times I got a personal loan from a personal-finance company (what used to be Citifinancial and is now OneMain), I ended up regretting it on both occasions, particularly the second. On that occasion (September 2008), I had already taken out one $7,500 loan, had gotten a mailer from them saying I was prequalified for - I can't remember now, but it was something like $1,500 or $2,000 more - went in to the local office, and like a classic chump allowed myself to be talked into another $7.5k personal loan; I forget how much the monthly payments were too, but it was something like $300 a month. At that, I might possibly have been able to scrape by except that I got furloughed from work for close to three months because of lack of projects, and had to use most of that money to stay afloat. Along with the damage I sustained from my hot water heater's springing a massive leak in late 2010, I think the whole fiasco was a significant contributory factor to my having to go to chapter 7 BK in 2014.

Long story short, I'm never touching another finance-company personal loan if I can help it. Even a credit-union personal loan would be viewed by me with great caution.

Yep, did this last June with Risecredit for $2400. Kept telling myself I'll just repay the loan at the end of June. Nope...ended up keeping it open until September..like a moron. Paid that sucker off in full and told myself never again. At the time my max util was 95% and $23k in debt, no baddies. Scores were mid 600's.

Now its almost May and $15k left to go at 48% Util. Scores between 700-710. I'll get this debt paid off when October rolls around *yay*. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.