cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought first house need a credit card HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bought first house need a credit card HELP!

I just bought my first house and I need a credit card so I can get furniture.  I don't want to open an account at the furniture store because I need other stuff too.  (Can't buy an ironing board from Walker Furniture).  My scores are around 695 and I only have one credit card (first premier) with a 400 limit.  No other debt except the new house and my car.  I don't want to waste any inquires so any suggestions?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bought first house need a credit card HELP!

@Anonymous wrote:
I just bought my first house and I need a credit card so I can get furniture.  I don't want to open an account at the furniture store because I need other stuff too.  (Can't buy an ironing board from Walker Furniture).  My scores are around 695 and I only have one credit card (first premier) with a 400 limit.  No other debt except the new house and my car.  I don't want to waste any inquires so any suggestions?

Congrats on the new house.

Is 695 a FICO score and with which CRB?  Also, any derogs, or other potential negative information.?

Message 2 of 12
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I have recently bought house too and though I have a lot of plastic I have chosen to get 0% financing via store.

1. Macy's Furniture Gallery. As existing Macy's card holder, no pull, quick approval, stressless delivery, nice merchandise, affordable prices, 0% for 12 mos, payment starts after delivery, bought in march, delivered at the beginning of July, reporting to CRA started afted delivery, but reports purchase date as account opening, meaning account was 4 mos when was reported first time - no major score drop.

2. Raymond and Flennigan financing via Wells Fargo. Offers various options, I have chosen, of course, 0%, but one payment 45 days after delivery. Furniture bought in March delivered in July, read above. Nice touch, WF reported $7500 CL on $4200 purchase. Not nice touch, pulled TU (gone 3 weeks latter)

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ is a beacon 685, EX is a empirica 699 and TU is and fico 681.  That is from the pulls for the mortgage, and I have a late payment from two years ago on a car warranty.  Other than that I am working on getting a neg item removed that was not mine (they showed paid but I want it gone). 
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but I need just a regular cc because I need a couch but I also need some dishes know what mean.
Message 5 of 12
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Ok, you have pretty decent scores, so go to http://www.findacreditunion.com/, put in requested info and find CU that you can join. Call them on Tuesday morning and ask regarding requirments, so you'll have some data to make decision.

Also, talk to your bank and find out if you have any chance to get CC

Good Luck

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI Diamond Preferred is a good card with decent CL and frequent CLIs.  CITI is inquiry sensitive.

US Bank is also attainable with those scores.

Personally, I'd app to a quality CU.  Addison (EX), Alliant (EQ) are pretty good choices.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wmarat wrote:

Ok, you have pretty decent scores, so go to http://www.findacreditunion.com/, put in requested info and find CU that you can join. Call them on Tuesday morning and ask regarding requirments, so you'll have some data to make decision.

Also, talk to your bank and find out if you have any chance to get CC

Good Luck

Thanks for the info I will look that up right now and call BofA on tues.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CITI Diamond Preferred is a good card with decent CL and frequent CLIs.  CITI is inquiry sensitive.

US Bank is also attainable with those scores.

Personally, I'd app to a quality CU.  Addison (EX), Alliant (EQ) are pretty good choices.

Seems like a CU is a good choice.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, if you reside in PA (steeler fan?), check out PSECU (many threads in this forum).  Its received excellent reviews if you can qualify.  They pull EX
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.