Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new to Amex

tag
H_you
Valued Member

Brand new to Amex

Just received Amex green under 25k MR promo the end of August. I'm almost at the tipping point for that promo. However, I would love to upgrade to gold or prg to take advantage of the better rewards and travel perks. I'm assuming I would have to wait a certain amount of time to be able to do that, but how long? I can't get an answer from csr's at Amex
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Brand new to Amex

On the subject of upgrading your card.. I'd wait and just apply for another Amex in January and close the green whenever the AF is due.

Message 2 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I'd either wait until you get an upgrade offer or wait a few months and try the PRG (the Gold is basically just a more expensive version of the Green, not much of a difference) or if you want, you might be able to get it with the same HP if you do it now though there will be a bit of waiting you'd have to do. Whatever works for you. YMMV. If you get it now, you can then decide which card feels better for you and then close whichever one you don't want anymore.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 15
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

@H_you wrote:
Just received Amex green under 25k MR promo the end of August. I'm almost at the tipping point for that promo. However, I would love to upgrade to gold or prg to take advantage of the better rewards and travel perks. I'm assuming I would have to wait a certain amount of time to be able to do that, but how long? I can't get an answer from csr's at Amex

After six months you can call Amex and have it upgraded. 

Message 4 of 15
H_you
Valued Member

Thanks! I'm thinking I'll wait to have an inquiry fall off in January then and since I know they pull EXP that's my strongest score. What does ymmv mean?
Message 5 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@H_you wrote:
Thanks! I'm thinking I'll wait to have an inquiry fall off in January then and since I know they pull EXP that's my strongest score. What does ymmv mean?

Your mileage may vary.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 6 of 15
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

I first applied for the Green and got approved (with no sign up bonus) and immediately realized I should have went for the PRG. I called amex immediately to try to PC and they told me I had to wait 13 months.

I don't think it's considered as an upgrade because it's a different card. I feel like an upgrade would be like going from ED -> EDP or BCE -> BCP. I could be wrong on this since it's charge cards.

Either way, what I did was applied for the PRG a few days later and got approved. My Green is SD'd and once the AF comes up on both of them I'll decide which one I want to keep.

Message 7 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I've had my amex for almost a month now, and I've had an "upgrade to platinum" button since like day 3. So idk about the waiting thing. 

Message 8 of 15
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:

I've had my amex for almost a month now, and I've had an "upgrade to platinum" button since like day 3. So idk about the waiting thing. 

From what has been said in the past one can have the upgrade button but it will come back denied if not enough time has passed that would allow the ugprade.

Message 9 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

From what has been said in the past one can have the upgrade button but it will come back denied if not enough time has passed that would allow the ugprade.

Yes, the CARD act prohibits changes in AF for 13 months, and most issuers (presumably with legal advice!) are taking that to include PCs, as well as the case of simply increasing an annual fee.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.