Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing down utilization WORKS if you want to improve score

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Bringing down utilization WORKS if you want to improve score

DH had a EQ fico score of 682 with one of his CCs maxed out. Overall util was 35%. We did a BT to one of my cards for part of his balance, which brought the util on the maxed out card down to 52% and overall util to 19%. The statement just cut and reported and got a SW alert for his score - 705!!! 

Of course, our overall plan is to pay down our CC debt. That's one of the reasons we're moving to a cheaper apartment at the end of the month. We have a small window of time before statements cut for his other cards (and my CCs which he's an AU on) where he'll have the best util with another TL reporting a zero balance so we're going to go for the Amex BCP. Since we always cook, both of us having the BCP is basically money on the table. I can't wait to see what his score is going to be like once his personal line of credit reports the zero balance. I was nervous about his chances for the BCP at 682 but I'm feeling a little better with the new score! Of course, I don't know what his EX fico score is but I'm just hoping that they're somewhat comparable. But I could be wrong. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Bringing down utilization WORKS if you want to improve score

@parakleet wrote:

DH had a EQ fico score of 682 with one of his CCs maxed out. Overall util was 35%. We did a BT to one of my cards for part of his balance, which brought the util on the maxed out card down to 52% and overall util to 19%. The statement just cut and reported and got a SW alert for his score - 705!!! 

Of course, our overall plan is to pay down our CC debt. That's one of the reasons we're moving to a cheaper apartment at the end of the month. We have a small window of time before statements cut for his other cards (and my CCs which he's an AU on) where he'll have the best util with another TL reporting a zero balance so we're going to go for the Amex BCP. Since we always cook, both of us having the BCP is basically money on the table. I can't wait to see what his score is going to be like once his personal line of credit reports the zero balance. I was nervous about his chances for the BCP at 682 but I'm feeling a little better with the new score! Of course, I don't know what his EX fico score is but I'm just hoping that they're somewhat comparable. But I could be wrong. 

WTG keep up the good work get those balances down and scores will show itSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Super! Nice score bump Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 5
imovinup
Regular Contributor

wow thats great. im currently doing the same thing to bring my scores up. the worst is waiting for them to report after youve paid them to see the effects.

Starting Score: 5/30/13 TU 630; EQ618: EX PLUS639
Current Score: 4/2/15 TU 661; EQ 617; ; EX FICO 631
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 5
knoregs
Established Contributor

A 23 point bump??? NICE!

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.