Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Chip?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Broken Chip?

I've been getting Chip Malfunction recently with my BofA card. After three tries the terminal tells me to swipe it and it goes through in a jiffy. I haven't gotten it wet or bent or anything, at least not in any way I can imagine. I already requested a new card yesterday to hopefully get the numbers on the back, so I guess that's what I would've needed to do anyway. Has anybody else had their chip die on a recent card?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

Re: Broken Chip?

Didn’t have one “die” - but I did recently get a replacement BOA card and the chip was faulty. Tried it at several different places and it never worked. Got another replacement, and... now that I come to think of it I haven’t tried yet. Every purchase with this new replacement has either been online, Apple Pay or swipe.

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 2 of 6
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

My BofA card, maybe a month-ish old, is occasionally flaky too. Hmmm.

Message 3 of 6
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been getting Chip Malfunction recently with my BofA card. After three tries the terminal tells me to swipe it and it goes through in a jiffy. I haven't gotten it wet or bent or anything, at least not in any way I can imagine. I already requested a new card yesterday to hopefully get the numbers on the back, so I guess that's what I would've needed to do anyway. Has anybody else had their chip die on a recent card?

The chip on my WF Cashwise Visa doesn't work at all. The EMV readers don't even make me try three times, just once, then I get to swipe. 

For those of you with flaky chips, make sure there's nothing on them that would prevent them from being read by the EMV reader. My Capital One Quicksilver had some gunk on the chip and it was rendered useless until I cleaned it off. 

Message 4 of 6
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My Platinum Rewards card from PenFed had a issue with the chip upon arrival.  Tried to use it at Walmart and it made me try 3 times before it allowed me to swipe.  PenFed at the time told me that they had received call from several members with chip issues therefore they were providing overnight shipping for replacements for free.  This was about a year ago. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of the problems with the EMV rollout could have been relieved with contactless being the primary payment method and EMV being a backup, such as transaction speed and broken chips. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.