Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brother as Auth User: Cash Advances, Car Rental-----Geeze

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brother as Auth User: Cash Advances, Car Rental-----Geeze

It’s been a rough month or so and a lot of lessons learned. I was approved for the Barclay+, I was able to meet spend with the help of my brother. Since everything was going smoothly I applied for the AMEX PRG and the Chase Marriott (total of 3,000 spend needed) I made my brother an authorized user. The first couple of weeks of him having the cards things were great; he would charge and give me the money right away. At that moment he had the Arrival + and the Marriott.

On a Sunday morning I logged into my Chase account and noticed a cash advance that totaled 323.99, I freaked and he paid me the money immediately. A week later I receive a text message in the morning that stated I took out a cash advance on the Arrival+, take the money that I have at your house and pay I don’t want to hear nothing more about it. I immediately logged into my account and noticed 3 cash advances that totaled almost 900 not including the cash advance fee.

Instead of taking part of his savings to pay for the Arrival+ I did a balance transfer to my Amazon Visa that totaled a 1,000. Our agreement is he pays 200 dollars a month. I hope the urge to gamble taught him a lesson. To top things off he rented a car with the Marriott and instead of renting it a week he decided to rent it for a month. A week and half ago I removed him as an authorized user on my Marriott. I called chase to see if there was any pending charges, Enterprise specifically. There was no pending charges, according to Chase Enterprise can’t charge my new credit card number because they don’t have the new number. I hope this is accurate.

The car is getting returned tonight and I’m so nervous that I’m going to be slapped with a large bill.  The car is not under my name and he only paid with the Marriott but the pre-auth expired the first week because he decided to keep it for a month. Is there anyway Enterprise could charge my new card number? I’m preparing myself for the worse. My brother doesn’t understand credit or values credit. At the present moment he has paid all balances in full other than the balance transfer. I’ve taken all credit cards back, changed all numbers, and removed him as an authorized user. Any input is appreciated.

Positives:

I called Barclay two weeks ago: I asked if I could transfer 1,000 from my RMC to the Arrival + and close out my RMC. The CSR suggested I keep the RMC at 300 and move the 1,000 over. He said that is should show in my account in 5 minutes. Well the following day I noticed my RMC still at 1,300 and my Arrival + at 6,000, I’m guessing it was a SP CLI.

I contact Walmart via chat and received a CLI limit increase of 3,000 bringing my total limit to 7,000. I decided to contact Barclay tonight and ask for a SP CLI on my RMC and they granted 700, total now is 2,000.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Brother as Auth User: Cash Advances, Car Rental-----Geeze

@Anonymous wrote:

It’s been a rough month or so and a lot of lessons learned. I was approved for the Barclay+, I was able to meet spend with the help of my brother. Since everything was going smoothly I applied for the AMEX PRG and the Chase Marriott (total of 3,000 spend needed) I made my brother an authorized user. The first couple of weeks of him having the cards things were great; he would charge and give me the money right away. At that moment he had the Arrival + and the Marriott.

On a Sunday morning I logged into my Chase account and noticed a cash advance that totaled 323.99, I freaked and he paid me the money immediately. A week later I receive a text message in the morning that stated I took out a cash advance on the Arrival+, take the money that I have at your house and pay I don’t want to hear nothing more about it. I immediately logged into my account and noticed 3 cash advances that totaled almost 900 not including the cash advance fee.

Instead of taking part of his savings to pay for the Arrival+ I did a balance transfer to my Amazon Visa that totaled a 1,000. Our agreement is he pays 200 dollars a month. I hope the urge to gamble taught him a lesson. To top things off he rented a car with the Marriott and instead of renting it a week he decided to rent it for a month. A week and half ago I removed him as an authorized user on my Marriott. I called chase to see if there was any pending charges, Enterprise specifically. There was no pending charges, according to Chase Enterprise can’t charge my new credit card number because they don’t have the new number. I hope this is accurate.

The car is getting returned tonight and I’m so nervous that I’m going to be slapped with a large bill.  The car is not under my name and he only paid with the Marriott but the pre-auth expired the first week because he decided to keep it for a month. Is there anyway Enterprise could charge my new card number? I’m preparing myself for the worse. My brother doesn’t understand credit or values credit. At the present moment he has paid all balances in full other than the balance transfer. I’ve taken all credit cards back, changed all numbers, and removed him as an authorized user. Any input is appreciated.

Positives:

I called Barclay two weeks ago: I asked if I could transfer 1,000 from my RMC to the Arrival + and close out my RMC. The CSR suggested I keep the RMC at 300 and move the 1,000 over. He said that is should show in my account in 5 minutes. Well the following day I noticed my RMC still at 1,300 and my Arrival + at 6,000, I’m guessing it was a SP CLI.

I contact Walmart via chat and received a CLI limit increase of 3,000 bringing my total limit to 7,000. I decided to contact Barclay tonight and ask for a SP CLI on my RMC and they granted 700, total now is 2,000.

Good thing he's not my brother.  He'd be getting a nice smack upside the head.  You don't have to understand credit to realize that what you're doing is wrong.  Glad that he's paid you back most of it so far. I hope it works out with the car rental and that you take this as lesson learned when it comes to AUs.

Message 2 of 18
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Positives:

Good thing he's not my brother.  He'd be getting a nice smack upside the head.  You don't have to understand credit to realize that what you're doing is wrong.  Glad that he's paid you back most of it so far. I hope it works out with the car rental and that you take this as lesson learned when it comes to AUs.

+1. The only AU I have is my mother - and I put her on an AMEX where I have full control of her limit. I hope this is lesson learned, and I hope Chase is right that the card will decline - however, I will say that even after I've had cards blocked for fraud, things that were recurring or previously authorized went through to the new card number.. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may happen...

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was so consumed on booking a trip to Disney that I really didn’t weigh out my options. It’s definitely a lesson learned, I won’t ever do it again. I’ve come too far to allow someone else to ruin it. His wrong doing didn’t matter in his eyes.

“Chase is right that the card will decline - however, I will say that even after I've had cards blocked for fraud, things that were recurring or previously authorized went through to the new card number.. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may happen...”

The total amount that was preauthorized was about 650 and that preauthorization has expired Can they go in on an old pre-auth to bill the account? If so can they charge more? There was only one contract signed and that was the first day he got the rental and that was set up for a week. Every time he called they did a new pre-auth. As of today Enterprise has not taken any money out and my available credit reflects the correct amount. I’m very unfamiliar how rental agencies work; I’ve googled so much it’s unreal, everything is starting to look the same. From what I can gather and correct me if I’m wrong you don’t get charged until the car is brought back and inspected.

Message 4 of 18
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was so consumed on booking a trip to Disney that I really didn’t weigh out my options. It’s definitely a lesson learned, I won’t ever do it again. I’ve come too far to allow someone else to ruin it. His wrong doing didn’t matter in his eyes.

“Chase is right that the card will decline - however, I will say that even after I've had cards blocked for fraud, things that were recurring or previously authorized went through to the new card number.. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may happen...”

The total amount that was preauthorized was about 650 and that preauthorization has expired Can they go in on an old pre-auth to bill the account? If so can they charge more? There was only one contract signed and that was the first day he got the rental and that was set up for a week. Every time he called they did a new pre-auth. As of today Enterprise has not taken any money out and my available credit reflects the correct amount.

If push comes to shove, I think that in the end you would be responsible for 650. I do believe that they can go in on an old pre-auth to bill the account - I have stayed in hotels where the auth has cleared my account before I check out, and they have no problem just posting a charge on the card after the fact. It worries me that he's returning the car tonight, if Enterprise is like most others, when you drop a car after hours, the original M.O.P. is charged for the rental. I hate to say it, but this could turn a lot uglier before it gets better. It's a bit of a grey area, but if the full auth comes through I would call Chase, argue that he was removed as AU and you should not be responsible for anything over the initial amount authorized of 650. While you're bound by the T&Cs of your cc, it is him that is financially liable for payment of rental services (via Enterprise's contracts). Have Chase tell Enterprise to go after the driver of the car for payment (your brother).

...even that may not work, because I suppose Chase could argue that at the time of the rental, he was an authorized user of the account, and you only just removed him (not just after the week or something). This is all legal speculation, and I am not a lawyer, lol.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 5 of 18
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I think only time can tell. But generally I think you only get charged once the car is returned and inspected due to damage to the car they may charge extra. However the company will want a payment of some sort it would be rude to rent a car for free.

Here's what may happen. Your card gets charged not sure how since its a new number but might be possible or your brother either gets billed or taken to collections for the amount if it's not paid and he signed the contract.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 18
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I can't edit my post but the other issue about authroized users are is they can Max a card and leave you the bill since you would be responsible due to being the primary card holder. It says in t&c regarding any cc lender.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I’m fully responsible I’m just trying to minimize the damage.I guess I'll find out tommorow. 

Message 8 of 18
barbaralee
Established Contributor

They can also charge if the car does not have gas, was smoked in, if someone ran a toll, etc. At my job I see rental car disputes all the time. When we submit chargeback on them the rental companies always challenge our disputes, and they come swinging. Documents, signatures, receipts, they are usually quite meticulous. Hopefully it won't get to that point. Fingers crossed.

Message 9 of 18
northface28
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear this, hopefuly youve learned from this. Friends, Family, and Finances dont mix. I learned the hard way, ultimately filing BK because I co-signed for a family member. People say im mean, but id NEVER co-sign or make anyone an authorized user, EVER, wife, mom, my own children, nope, not doing it. Its my fanny, and I have to cover it, no one else will.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.