Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buckles card worth it?

tag
VinceYoung
Valued Member

Buckles card worth it?

Topic says it all. Is there much point in the buckles card like special financing, sales, etc. I saw something about their black premier card, which looks like it could be good, and if I like the buckles merch enough I would def hit the $500 mark for it. Does the status last forever or per year?

Starting Score: 637
Current Score: EQ:712 TransRISK: 724
Goal Score: 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Buckles card worth it?

You have added multiple new accounts to an already thin credit file. In my opinion, regardless of if the buckle card is worth it from a rewards standpoint, I think you should stop your app spree to reduce the hit from new accounts that will be coming down the road. If your goal is 780 and a mortgage, adding new accounts to your file will push that goal further and further into the future. (Although not the mortgage, because you can get that without a 780 score) As it stands right now, I say you can probably get to 780 in 3 or 4 years assuming everything stays clean. Each new account will likely push that timeframe back several months.

Also, in terms of which accounts are "worth it", I would much rather use new accounts for mainstream rewards credit cards. But this is coming from a person who never revolves balances, and doesn't shop at one particular clothing store more than any other. You may find the card useful.

Last thing is, I noticed in one of your posts that you carry a balance on your current credit card for "the score boost". I'm just making sure that you have learned from this forum that carrying a balance does not boost your score, it only costs you money. You can achieve EVERY credit score goal by paying in full each and every month. Just clearing that up.

Okay, that's the end of my discussion here. For reference I was provided a 780 FICO from Amex after applying for the BCP. My AAoA at the time was over 3 years, and I had 23 accounts on my credit report, but only 1 credit card. This will take time, but you can get there.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 24
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Unless you are already a loyal shopper, why bother with a card you can only be used there. Even if its only as oft pull via "shopping cart trick" you'll still take a hit for yet another new account.
Message 3 of 24
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

And from what I have read, their rewards program leaves a lot to be desired.
Message 4 of 24
VinceYoung
Valued Member

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I would like to make a couple of notes (and thank yous)

Snacktrader: I mean this sincerely, thank you for being concerened about me Smiley Happy I am looking to eventually get a mortage but this would be 3-4 years from now which is probably what has been pushing me to get these apps done all at once instead of later. I would much rather take the FICO score dump now and have my record look spic and span later. I know that there is a high possibility that I can completely destroy myself if I am not responsible with this but I have no intention of that... I am too determined and stubborn to let that happen Smiley Mad

On the piont about not getting a better score with utilization: I didn't know that actually. Almost every post I've read so far has indicated that having 1%-9% would get you the most out of your credit score. I have also been leaving a little on the card (about $10) so that I do actually pay interest. I know it isn't much but I am very grateful that my CU helped me out when nobody else would. I know it doesn't mean squat to them but that's just how I feel.

In regards to the buckles card, I was primarily asking because I am contemplating becoming a frequent on their site. IF, and this is a HUGE if, I do apply, I would think that 500 in a year is not very much, and the free shipping and handling you get from BLACK status saves a bunch of money if it's a permanent status. I am very much on the "do not apply" side of the fence right now. I was primarily looking just to see if there really was any benefit.

I really do appreciate everyone's help that I've gotten on this forum though! I am planning on going into the garden, for an undertermined amount of time! So if you see me asking about cards and benefits, etc., I am just curious Smiley Happy I have a very strong will when it comes to apping, hence why I haven't even tried to get one for the last 7 years!

Message 5 of 24
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Good to hear all that you mentioned. You're doing yourself a big favor by being responsible now.

My point on balances was referring to carrying a balance, not utilization. Those are two entirely different things. Carrying a balance costs interest, which you are currently paying. That's a personal choice in your situation. Utilization involves what is reported to the credit bureaus. That occurs on the day the statement cuts, so if you pay a significant portion of your balance before the statement cuts, then pay the remainder before your due date, then you can both avoid interest and show a 1-9% utilization.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 6 of 24
VinceYoung
Valued Member

I think I understand what you are saying. Let me run this really quick.

Due date: 5th of the month

Report date: 10th of the month

So pay the 4th (or whenever needed to have it post before the 5th)

Use afterwards but keep around 1-9% util until after the 10th?

Message 7 of 24
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Yes.

But I think of it the other way around. Consider this:

Statement period runs the 11th of every month through the 10th. Those are the charges that need to be paid off in order to eliminate interest. So charge $200/$1000 between the 11th and 8th. Then make a payment for $190. All that's left to pay is $10 before the 5th of the next month. Because, realistically, you should have a $0 balance left over from the previous reporting period each and every month to avoid interest.

Message 8 of 24
solstice00
Regular Contributor

Buckle reports to EQUIFAX AND EXPERIAN.

Thats good enough. Smiley Wink

"Its your AAoA, Sir. It seems, Sir, that it is so short that i dont think it would hurt for it to get a little shorter"
Message 9 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

HELL NO. 

If you shop there a lot www.cardpool.com get gift cards at a nice discount, and spend your HP's on something that'll let you travel the world for free imo. I've gotten over 300k in sign up bonuses in the last 6months, I only need 65k to travel 11,000 miles round trip.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.