longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Building Amex Spend vs. Optimizing Rewards

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not neccessarily.  Amex wants to see good use and payment on their cards, but it doesn't have to be every penny that you spend.  I think as long as you keep the card active, with good repayment, you will set yourself up for a good relationship with amex.

Or... you could always spend 200k a year on the amex and get the centurion... just a though Smiley Wink 

Thanks for the advice....I'll just go for the Centurion Smiley Happy

In some of the threads, people say that the Amex *hidden limit* is 3x your average monthly purchases over 6 months...I do worry i could end up with a low limit, but I guess i have enough credit on other cards that it isn't an issue.

In that case, I'm so far over that it's ridiculous.

I have my TE card, solely used it for gas and Costco, got a CLI 12,500->18,000.  I was putting ~$150 per month of spend on the card.

Yeah, my BCE went from 5k to 15k, and I spent maybe $100/month on that card. haha

Hmm...so you're saying that sometime people post unsubstantiated rumors in this forum? Although, i will point out that TE and BCE are credit cards with published limits, which is different than NPSL charge cards

Yeah, everything's speculation. Another datapoint on a chargecard for you. I just used check spending ability for 6k on my PRG (only have had 1 statement cut and have run $520 through the card). APPROVED. Their risk model is nowhere near as simple as the rule you had mentioned. You treat it well, PIF, and AMEX really likes you as a cardholder. I have 20k in solid CL's on credit cards plus charge card on a 30k stated income. Rediculous? Maybe - it's why I'm going to be axing my BCE and apping for ED next January, but I PIF and have run more than 7k on their cards in the last year, and I'm fairly certain with my limits in relation to my stated income that my internal score with AMEX is pretty high.

I'll also add that I'll bet my CL on the fact if I started utilizing some of my CL w/ AMEX that my spending ability will drop. Carrying a balance is perceived as potential financial stress = higher risk = shorter leash on a charge card. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building Amex Spend vs. Optimizing Rewards

Use what makes most sense for you at the time. The green cards internal limit and thus your internal score are a constantly changing thing. Starting heavy will not actually do anything for you unless you intend to keep it that way.
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.