Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Credit History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building Credit History

How do I go about getting a good credit score and building history? 

Do I just buy stuff and pay it back on time?

Do some things you buy give you more credit core points then others?

Also can someone give me some tips on how to build a great credit history

Thanks for the help Happy Holidays!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Building Credit History

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to MyFico!

Do you have any previous history? Any negatives? And student loans, credit cards, car loans, mortgages? 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to MyFico!

Do you have any previous history? Any negatives? And student loans, credit cards, car loans, mortgages? 

I have no credit History and no loans whats so ever. I am 18 and in school and I want to have a amazng credit score. I got approved for the cap 1 journey credit card.  I have $300 limit. 

I know that must be low but I guess I have to start somewhere.

Message 3 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

With a $300 limit, it won't take much to spend up to the limit. Don't max it out, but charge a good amount on it each month, and pay it off. I have heard you should let the statement report with some amount of a balance - in your case, I'd say under $100 for a balance, and then pay it off totally. Do this for several months. Capital one gives CLI after 6 months, supposedly. After doing this for a few months, your doors should begin to open to other cards and/or a bigger CL.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to MyFico!

I have no credit History and no loans whats so ever. I am 18 and in school and I want to have a amazng credit score. I got approved for the cap 1 journey credit card.  I have $300 limit. 

I know that must be low but I guess I have to start somewhere.

Cap1 is the generic starting point for most people. I started with them too. 

If you're willing to treat cards responsibly you could probably also try for one of the bank of america student cards. 

Do you happen to have a banking relationship with wells fargo? Because they'll pretty much give their student card to anyone who banks with them and is a student provided their profile isn't riddled with negatives. 

Other than that, I'd say just stick it out. Treat your cap1 card well, get a few months of history under your belt and you should be good to try for something a little better. 

Put all your regular purchases on the card, and just be sure not to go over the limit, and make sure you pay ON TIME. Don't let it slip your mind, and don't do the generic "i'm 18  but I have a credit card so I can buy $50,000 worth of crap" move. Smiley Tongue 

Stick around myfico and you'll learn some stuff. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cosmic got online and asked-

"Do I just buy stuff and pay it back on time?"

Yep.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep.

Yes.

This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

Message 7 of 12
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep.

Yes.

This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

Shouldn't be hard for the OP right?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My very 1st card was a Cap1 $300 limit back in 2006. Treat it well and it will serve you well. The thing with building credit at 18yr old is T-I-M-E... Cant stress it enough. It takes time. USE your card and pay it off. Charge it pay it, charge it pay it. After several months (12+) they will increase your limit. As time goes on apply for a new car and or a loan (auto/personal) and make good on them. Time Time Time.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My very 1st card was a Cap1 $300 limit back in 2006. Treat it well and it will serve you well. The thing with building credit at 18yr old is T-I-M-E... Cant stress it enough. It takes time. USE your card and pay it off. Charge it pay it, charge it pay it. After several months (12+) they will increase your limit. As time goes on apply for a new car and or a loan (auto/personal) and make good on them. Time Time Time.

Alright thanks for the tip. Should I spend no more than 50% of my card or can I spend 100% and pay it off

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.