cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Credit: PenFed Secured or Another Card?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Building Credit: PenFed Secured or Another Card?

@Anonymous wrote:

marinevietvet,

Now that makes sense!  So paying in full every month is the best way to handle a card, whether secured or unsecured it sounds like.  I was under the impression before that it was only your statements that actually post to the agencies.  So from what you're saying, if I have a $1000 limit then I should only use about $90 of it and pay it off right away, every time.  Then go ahead and put more on it and pay it off again, not going above that magic util percentage.  This seems to preclude me from using it like a debit card.  I guess I'll have to get one or two more when the time is right.

Speaking of which, when should I go for my next card?  Six months?  A year?  More?

And thanks for the welcome!  I should have said that I was new.  Thanks for the help and clarification!

cheers,

-jim

You can use it as much as you want but just make sure you know when your statement posts each month so you can time how much balance shows on that statement. What is on the monthly statement is what reports to the CRA's.

From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building Credit: PenFed Secured or Another Card?

Always good to get corroborating advice!  I guess that means I can focus on just the one card for now, which is quite the relief.

cheers,

-jim

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.