cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Credit: secured credit card or conventional?

tag
kaydubya
Established Member

Building Credit: secured credit card or conventional?

After having a conventional capital one card for a while, I haven't seen them raise my limits from the initial $750 and my credit score has seemed to stagnate around 660. Im thinking its time to apply for another card.

I'm willing to put some money into a secured card, say $3000-5000. Would this be better to boost my credit and scores than another card with a relatively small balance?
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Building Credit: secured credit card or conventional?

We need a lot more info here like.... Are you new to credit ? How long have you had your cap one? What baddies do you have showing? Any other credit like loans/ installment showing . We need more of a picture here before we can helpSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 30
kaydubya
Established Member

I've had the cap one card almost 2 years, which is when I started trying to rebuild my credit after honestly not caring about it when I was younger. Other installment loans are for a vehicle and student loans, total about $28k. There's bad marks, like late payments >36 months ago. I had one 30 day over a year ago. Otherwise I keep my card with a small balance (<5%), and any larger balances I generally pay off immediately.
Message 3 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Do you know what your current FICO scores are? Any recent baddies like lates, etc??? Also, go the EO route on the cap one card. Search for it here in the forums, and take to read in these forums too! There's a vast knowledge here or people who have "been there don't that". You've had the cap one forb2 yrs now with no cli? Bypass customer service and email the EO directly. Ask for $3k and pc to the quicksilver, they will come back to you with a counter of what they can do. I'm assuming your history with them good? Also what's your overall cc util? Is that your only cc?
Message 4 of 30
kaydubya
Established Member

Thats a great tip , thanks. When i find the correct contact email I will do just that.

I get reports from freecreditscore so I know that the experian seems to be stagnate. I check the other reports every few months as well, same story there. The cap one is my only card, so I keep utilization well below 10%, typically below 5, but I try to avoid zero balance.
Message 5 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Meant what are your scores? I would pull Fico scores to see what they really are and give you a real idea and we can help from there. Those other scores are FAKO
Message 6 of 30
user5387
Valued Contributor

@kaydubya wrote:
After having a conventional capital one card for a while, I haven't seen them raise my limits from the initial $750 and my credit score has seemed to stagnate around 660. Im thinking its time to apply for another card.

I'm willing to put some money into a secured card, say $3000-5000. Would this be better to boost my credit and scores than another card with a relatively small balance?

I would suggest doing whatever you can to optimize your report, for example addressing derogatories where possible, and making sure your reported utilization is low.

If that still leaves you in a borderline position, then depositing money for a secured card with a higher CL might make sense.

Another thing you could do is go around to some local CUs, and see if they could work with you, and give you a fresh start.

Message 7 of 30
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

You can most likely qualify for a walmart card with scores around what you said. It will provide a better credit mix and a free Fico every month from TU....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 8 of 30
kaydubya
Established Member

I get the three scores from FCS, and know that they're all around the same score, but apparently FCS doesn't hold onto those reports longer than 30 days so I can't tell you precisely.  Is FICO a better place to order these from?

Message 9 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Order your scores from here. Fico are you true scores, all others are FAKO.
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.