cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Credit: secured credit card or conventional?

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Building Credit: secured credit card or conventional?

@kaydubya wrote:

Just an update, I heard again from Cap One, and they have indeed increased my CL.  While it's not the amount I requested, it is double what my previoius CL was.  Together with the quicksilver upgrade, I'm pretty happy with the result.

I'll wait a month or two to let the CL report on my credit, and pursue another card.  Any tips on which might offer the best initial and future limits?

Someone earlier suggested the Walmart card.  I'm inclined to agree.  You should consider adding a store card that can grow into a co-branded major CC.  Lots of GE backed cards can do this (Walmart, Gap, Dillards, etc.).   I'd consider what stores you shop at and see if those stores have these types of cards. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 21 of 30
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@kaydubya wrote:

Just an update, I heard again from Cap One, and they have indeed increased my CL.  While it's not the amount I requested, it is double what my previoius CL was.  Together with the quicksilver upgrade, I'm pretty happy with the result.

I'll wait a month or two to let the CL report on my credit, and pursue another card.  Any tips on which might offer the best initial and future limits?

Someone earlier suggested the Walmart card.  I'm inclined to agree.  You should consider adding a store card that can grow into a co-branded major CC.  Lots of GE backed cards can do this (Walmart, Gap, Dillards, etc.).   I'd consider what stores you shop at and see if those stores have these types of cards. 

+++ On the Walmart card!

They might start you out with a lower CL but they are very generous with CLI. People on this forum have gone from a $500 to $5000 in one year.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 22 of 30
kaydubya
Established Member

Would this be a good choice even if I'm not a frequent wal-mart shopper? Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kaydubya wrote:

Would this be a good choice even if I'm not a frequent wal-mart shopper? Smiley Happy

What are some other places or retailers that you frequently shop/surf or visit?

Message 24 of 30
kaydubya
Established Member

By the way I pulled my fico scores: 689 eq, 687 tu, 640 ex. Not sure why the last is so low.

Costco I'm at frequently, but I'm not certain if I'd get approved for the amex...
Message 25 of 30
BruceR1956

I too have a Capital One card and my limit is stuck with no increase after a few years (after they bought it from Orchard).  First, what is EO or who is it.  2nd, please send me the address of that person so I can also send an email.  I have good scores into the low 700's - it just seems they are just sitting on it.  Thank you......

Bruce

Message 26 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@BruceR1956 wrote:

I too have a Capital One card and my limit is stuck with no increase after a few years (after they bought it from Orchard).  First, what is EO or who is it.  2nd, please send me the address of that person so I can also send an email.  I have good scores into the low 700's - it just seems they are just sitting on it.  Thank you......

Bruce

Usually, most folks tend to send an email to the Capital One EO for better results.  The link for obtaining the EO address been referenced in a variety of threads throughout these forums.  Alternatively, you can do a quick search by using this link > Capital One EO.

Message 27 of 30
Jewelzy
New Visitor

What is an EO? Please explain. This was great info BTW.

Message 28 of 30
joyseeker
New Visitor

Just start out with a low-limit conventional card.  Believe me, if you keep your credit clean, you'll have a normal, high-limit account.  I began 5 years ago with a $300 limit.  The card stayed at $1200 for a year or two, and then It went to a $9,000 limit.  I've learned my lesson and use no more than 25% of the card and pay it off quickly.  But the system does work and a low-limit conventional card can become a normal card as your credit history improves!

Message 29 of 30
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Jewelzy wrote:

What is an EO? Please explain. This was great info BTW.

An EO is the Executive Office (or escalated channel) that individuals use when all other available means or channels have not been successful with addressing or resolving specific issues.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.