Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building Credit

I have like four starter credit cards and one really good month. So far I've been just using the starter credit cards and just paying them off completely at the end of the month. I am new to this credit thing as you are. It's only been about four years for me and I haven't been paying attention to it. I'm wondering if it's cool if I use the one with the crazy credit line for big purchases and it just kind of pay a little bit over the minimum every month.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Building Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I have like four starter credit cards and one really good month. So far I've been just using the starter credit cards and just paying them off completely at the end of the month. I am new to this credit thing as you are. It's only been about four years for me and I haven't been paying attention to it. I'm wondering if it's cool if I use the one with the crazy credit line for big purchases and it just kind of pay a little bit over the minimum every month.  People do this all the time.  Are you going to be paying interest on that purchase or is is a promotional offer?  I personally don't see where this could be a problem.  Are you maxing out the credit card when you make this purchase or will you have some credit left over?

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 3
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Building Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I have like four starter credit cards and one really good month. So far I've been just using the starter credit cards and just paying them off completely at the end of the month. I am new to this credit thing as you are. It's only been about four years for me and I haven't been paying attention to it. I'm wondering if it's cool if I use the one with the crazy credit line for big purchases and it just kind of pay a little bit over the minimum every month.

Four starter cards and one good card? Not sure I follow the "one really good month", is that a typo?

Anyway, you can carry a balance and pay interest if you like. On larger balances it is not recommended, because of the added cost of interest. If you are just getting past starter cards, the APR is probably very high. If it is carrying a $200 balance for a few months, no big deal.

Generally, as you are starting out, you gain a lot in FICO scoring just by being active with the cards and never missing any payments. For your financial well being, it is best to avoid interest costs if you can, but sometimes borrowing can be necessary.

p.s. Is that Pepe Le Pew in your avatar? Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.