Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building Credit

Hi,

I just turned 18 but have been an authorized user on my parents' Amex for a couple years now.  I want to start building more credit with my own card, so I applied for the Chase Freedom but was denied.  My credit score is great though, (mid 760s), but they said I was denied due to not having much activity account wise (I only have one account I'm on).

Someone suggested I should apply for a department store credit card as they are easier to get and help build up more credit.  I was thinking about the Macy's Amex.  Is this a hard card to get?  Also, I assume it reports to the major credit companies and will help establish credit?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building Credit

try credit unions, or give the Cap 1 prequa a try...they are usually spot on

Message 2 of 5
Pway
Valued Contributor

I would try both.  Check out Capital One pre qual and see what they have for you.  As well as a credit union is a great start as well. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 5
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Capital One will probably approve you. Chase cards are for established credit. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have to agree walk into any local credit union and get secured card. they will pull your credit anyway and may just give you a credit card on the spot. credit unions are good relationships to have when you want to get a car or refinance a car loan you already have. your cash back benefits are not as good if they have them at all, but cards with CU have their place. Often their balance transfers are awesome something to fall back on
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.