Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a relationship with Chase...

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Building a relationship with Chase...

So I want to app for the Chase Disney Card soon. However, I was denied for it Dec 2012. I don't recall the reasons but I assume since my scores might have been low, neg items and no current credit history.  I expect now I could be accepted but I think my limit could end up being low. I am guessing like $2000-3000. That is my guess anyway, but that is fine since I would not be putting much on it or carrying a balance. But my other reason is to establish a relationship with Chase because next April I would like to apply for the Freedom card. That card I would like a much higher limit as I would consider using it for higher spend.  So would this be a good way to build a relationship with them for better initial CL and interest rate offer for future cards?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Building a relationship with Chase...

It seems that each new cards CL is larger than the next with Chase. Good Luck with the approval!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

So I want to app for the Chase Disney Card soon. However, I was denied for it Dec 2012. I don't recall the reasons but I assume since my scores might have been low, neg items and no current credit history.  I expect now I could be accepted but I think my limit could end up being low. I am guessing like $2000-3000. That is my guess anyway, but that is fine since I would not be putting much on it or carrying a balance. But my other reason is to establish a relationship with Chase because next April I would like to apply for the Freedom card. That card I would like a much higher limit as I would consider using it for higher spend.  So would this be a good way to build a relationship with them for better initial CL and interest rate offer for future cards?

Hey Blue! I would actually go straight for the Freedom if you are gonna app for Chase. Disney doesn't sound very helpful if you don't see a use for it!

I know you're on the forums frequently, but have you played around with their prequal tool?

Message 3 of 8
TeeGee
Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

What helped me get a gargantuan CL with Chase RR Southwest Card was the fact that I had a checking and savings with them....at one time with 45K in my savings (that was before I paid off the IRS).Having those relationships with Chase helps alot I think.  At some point I also want the Freedom card but I did a 3 card spree recently (successfully!) that made my blood pressure spike, so I'm done for a while Smiley Happy

I'm not suggesting you have to have that much $ in an account but I've been with Chase for 4 years so I think it helped.

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Beginning FICO 630 ish EQ 732/EXP 735/TU 753 (Aug) Goal 800
Message 4 of 8
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

Hey Blue! I would actually go straight for the Freedom if you are gonna app for Chase. Disney doesn't sound very helpful if you don't see a use for it!

I know you're on the forums frequently, but have you played around with their prequal tool?

Yes, I have been pre-qualified for the Freedom and Slate when I look.  But getting pre-qualified vs getting a big limit and great terms are two different thing. I want a good starting limit of over $5k. My Amex will be up for the 6 month CLI in Jan so IF I got the 3x cli, it would be my first card over $10K. Not sure if Chase looks at other card CL's but it can't hurt. Also, I would like to replace my 0% cards with Freedom then if I want ot carry a balance. I am not in a hurry to get the Freedom unless it is a great limit and terms.

However, I have a Dec Disney trip and the park perks make the HP worth the card to me. That and establishing a relationship with Chase for better future cards.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

Yes, I have been pre-qualified for the Freedom and Slate when I look.  But getting pre-qualified vs getting a big limit and great terms are two different thing. I want a good starting limit of over $5k. My Amex will be up for the 6 month CLI in Jan so IF I got the 3x cli, it would be my first card over $10 and I would like to replace my 0% cards with Freedom then if I want ot carry a balance. I am not in a hurry to get the Freedom unless it is a great limit and terms.

However, I have a Dec Disney trip and the park perks make the HP worth the card to me. That and establishing a relationship with Chase for better future cards.

Cool! Glad to see you've been thinking this out for a while Smiley Happy

Since you'll likely get some good benefits from the Disney, then go for it! I feel that in terms of granting CL, Freedom = Disney, but I totally respect waiting on the Freedom so you can use their 0% when your others end.

Good luck for when you app!

Message 6 of 8
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@TeeGee wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

What helped me get a gargantuan CL with Chase RR Southwest Card was the fact that I had a checking and savings with them....at one time with 45K in my savings (that was before I paid off the IRS).Having those relationships with Chase helps alot I think.  At some point I also want the Freedom card but I did a 3 card spree recently (successfully!) that made my blood pressure spike, so I'm done for a while Smiley Happy

I'm not suggesting you have to have that much $ in an account but I've been with Chase for 4 years so I think it helped.

Yes, I would think the high savings would help.  I wonder too if being a co-branded card helped?  I have never seen such large limits with the Disney Chase card...so although I wish the co-branding would help in my case...I am not sure that it will. Wish you luck on your Freedom app. I'll look forward to applying for mine in the spring.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 8
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

It seems that each new cards CL is larger than the next with Chase. Good Luck with the approval!

That is what I wonder.  You seem to have a good relationship with US Bank!  Cash+ is on my future wish list.  I don't want EVERY card I like now....what would that give me to look forward to. Plus Cash+ seems to be a card I would definetly want over 700's to apply for. I did have a 6 year banking relationship with them...so when I do ap, I hope that helps.  I had to close the account when I relocated and they were no longer going to be in my neck of the woods. Now I am back, so I could do a branch ap when I am ready.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.