Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit after loosing a lot of credit and applying for new credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building credit after loosing a lot of credit and applying for new credit

Back in 2012 i had a score of around 780 with an Amex BC that had $25k limit a Platinum Business with i belive $7k, Citi, Barclay, Discover and Chase with limits around $7k each and a Cap with $700 lol. I took out a business loan, bought a new car with a $16k finance, got a Gold Amex charge card, and used a balance transfer offer with Citi for a $5k payment on the car at 0% APR. Sometime after that my score plummeted and Amex dropped both cards to a grand, it was shocking to loose $24k on a single card.

Later i got a DFAS collection of $5k for overpayment and at that time i could not pay and to this date have not. As of 9/15 I have finally payed off all balance transfers and have no debt aside from the DFAS with a current score around 700 for all bureaus, during 2013 and 2014 i applied for loans and new cards and would get denied every time with the reason being too high of a util and the debt of course.

There are 2 main cards that i currently use and the rest are just to help with my util. My plan now was to ask for CLI on every card i have and at the same time apply for 5 new cards from my existing companies, sportsmans and fuel rewards, as well as from credit unions with the hopes of getting high starting limits. I want to know if that is the best approach? I was also considering getting a secured card and putting about $9k that i currently have in my bank account if that is also worthwhile?

On a side note, i have been trying to get in touch with the creditor for my DFAS payment to try and make a deal and request a pay for delete. Unfortunately the phone # on my credit report i call and can never reach a person as they play a recording saying they are busy and to try again. I contacted them via email and they respond every 72 hrs. I appreciate any suggestions.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Building credit after loosing a lot of credit and applying for new credit

Definitely don't overlook the Rebuilding subforum.  You don't really need the secured card if you still have at least 2--3 cards unless the secured card gives you the limit you need to keep your revolving utilization in check.  You'll definitely want to address the derog and any others that you might have.  Your profile may not support applying for 5 new cards all at once.

Message 2 of 4
icyhot
Valued Contributor

So what cards and limits do you currently have?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will take a look in that section
I figured by applying for everything at the same time it would help with the inquiries, since it will take some for those to register at least i think that is how it works

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.