Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit, what's next?

tag
808state
Established Member

Building credit, what's next?

This is a long detailed post, but I wanted to get the best information with the most details available.

I am looking to buy a house in the next two years, and want to build my credit up.

The highest I have been was low 700's on all 3 back in 2007.

I currently sit at: 

EQ -698

EX- ?

TU -?

There are 2 derogs on my record:

Foreclosure in 2006 (one with GMAC, the other with Countrywide-which is now BofA).

One was the 1st Mortgage of 197k, the other a 2nd at 50k

DOFD is 04/2006

2 Open accounts: 

Oldest is HSBC/Cap1 Best Buy card opened in 2002. $11k limit. High was $6k, card is used once a quarter. Recently got a CLI of 2.5k to bring CL to 11K

Amex Zync since 2010 - highest monthly ~$5k monthly avg ~$1.5k

5 Closed accounts

3 paid auto loans - all with a CU

Bofa Credit card opened in 2003 was closed by Bofa in 2010 -  I tried for a CLI, two days later my card is canceled. When I called to find out why, I was told it was due to my Countrywide loan which foreclosed in 2006, which later transfered to BofA in 2008. I never missed a payment with Bofa before, during, or within the 2 years after my foreclosure. When they pulled for the CLI, they noticed the old foreclosure, which was then thiers, and cut my account!

Paypal Card that was closed the month it was applied for 11/2010

Inquiries:

EQ shows 2. One is ATT used to open a biz account 02/2012, the other is the Paypal card that was opened/canceled 11/2010

EX shows 2. One is Chase to drop off 12/2012. The other is FIA (B of A when I requested a CLI, and they closed my account instead...) dropping off 11/2012 

Thank you for any and all advice!!

TU 722 | EQ 779 | Alaska Airlines Visa 5k | NFCU Cash Rewards Signature Visa 12.5k | Foreclosure in 2006
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building credit, what's next?

Well I think what your going to get a lot out of people on here is that really you just need to Garden.  Time is the only thing that's going to heal your scores at this point.  I wouldn't worry about BofA or Paypal.  Concentrate on the cards you have and keep them paid off every month but continue to use them like you are.  Credit Union auto loans nice!  Which Credit Union do you belong to?  I would maybe after Gardening for about a year try and open a card with your Credit Union which will help to start building your credit back up.  Dosen't really look like your  to bad off according to your scores but time is the answer to your credit worries.  Of course this is just my opinion i'm sure you will get a few more.  Keep your head up your on the right track by trying to educate yourself and being here on the forum.  Your going to get a lot of good advice on here.

Message 2 of 3
808state
Established Member

Re: Building credit, what's next?

Thanks BD,

I was well on my way to stellar credit, until the FC in 2006. That is the only neg on my CR. I worked for an auto dealership for 5 years, and reviewed tons of credit. From that experience, I learned alot about what effects scores, what to do, what not to do.

That is why I have been in the garden for the last 6 years, and dont mind it.

My FC will be off by this time next year, but I want to do a little preimptive build up if I can.

I have considered opening an account at NFCU and getting a CC there, but not sure at this point.

TU 722 | EQ 779 | Alaska Airlines Visa 5k | NFCU Cash Rewards Signature Visa 12.5k | Foreclosure in 2006
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.