cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building towards CSP with no credit history

tag
brodor

Building towards CSP with no credit history

Been lurking around here for the past month and finally posting for the first time today, hoping to get some feedback.

I'm a graduate student (with ~$30K stipend income) studying in the US hoping to establish a solid credit history.  Arriving 18 months ago from Canada, I was surprised that my credit history (6 years of monthly PIFs on two revolvers and a student loan) didn't carry over and that I was unable to obtain a credit card here.  I opened a checking account at Chase shortly after arriving and after a couple of months, I asked about their credit products and they suggested that I apply for the Slate - I applied and was subsequently rejected due to a lack of history.  Not knowing that I should recon (still not sure if it would have helped), I proceeded to apply for the Capital One Newcomer's card last summer.  After several rounds of fax tag over two months where they repeatedly misplaced the documentation/pay stubs I sent them, they still couldn't verify my income and I just gave up.

Fast forward to last month when I came across this forum, I took the advice of applying for a card at my local credit union and received a Visa with a $1K CL.  I proceeded to apply for the Amex Delta Gold, taking care to mention my existing relationship with Amex Canada when I submitted documentation for verification, and was approved with a $1K CL.  I'm happy that I'm now earning rewards on my purchases and have started building my credit history and will grow it by PIF each month but the CSP looks really attractive (I do a bit of travel as a graduate student and the no foreign exchange fee would be handy whenever I visit family and friends in Canada - it's a pain to have to convert funds to pay my Canadian cards).

I am still unable to pull my TU/EQ but my EX score (from Amex) was 676 with only a utilities account reporting for the past 18 months.  My EQ shows the card from the credit union reporting and the utilities account (the Amex is still too new).  I also see two HPs from Amex and softs from Cap One when I applied last year.  I'm not sure what the inquiries look like on my TU/EQ (I'm assuming that I would have some HPs from the Chase Slate app, the Cap One app, and my local CU) but I should find out shortly.  I'm moving in August to a place which includes utilities, so I'll be closing the utilities account at that point, not sure how that will factor into things.

My current strategy is to simply obtain soft-CLIs from Amex and garden for 18 months or so (let the two new revolving account age) until the HPs from the Slate/CapOne falls off and apply for the CSP (after optimizing util the month before).  Hopefully my scores would have risen a considerable amount by then and my Amex CL would approach/exceed the $5K expected for CSP approval.  My AAoA and age of oldest account would probably set me back but hopefully that'll be offset by my young age and lack of recent inquiries.

Had a few thoughts of applying for another Amex at the start of next year (using my existing relationship and for backdating) or possibly the Freedom in a few months (something that I want to get eventually for the 10+10 but fear a wasted HP due to low AAoA and its influence on the eventual CSP app if Chase wants to limit its overall exposure) but my intuition from what I gather on this forum is that simply aging the two accounts would be the best course of action (unless they really want to see responsibility with >2 revolving accounts).

Really glad to have come across this community and would appreciate any input on my scenario.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Building towards CSP with no credit history

Honestly, I think the detail of your post scared everyone away haha

You're definitely thinking through this stuff the right way, and you're off to a great start. Will the rewards on the CSP justify the AF versus just another 1%, no FTF card, like a Capital One or Discover? Given your current income, a $95 fee would be difficult to recoup...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 13
toppers555
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Honestly, I think the detail of your post scared everyone away haha

You're definitely thinking through this stuff the right way, and you're off to a great start. Will the rewards on the CSP justify the AF versus just another 1%, no FTF card, like a Capital One or Discover? Given your current income, a $95 fee would be difficult to recoup...

+ 1 about AF. I know the desire ,and want for the metal card, but you also need to make sure you can afford it, and justfy it.  If you want it , and the $95 bucks is  not going hurt you go for it when it is time. I understand "prestige" that the card come with and  I am a 25 year college undergrad myself. The key is in understanding your financial situation.  For example I have a fulltime 65k+ year job I have been on for last 5+ years ,and have established credit.  I really don't have a need for a CSP,but I want it. I can easily push 3k requirement though in a month  for 40k bonus, and can just pay my tuition ( WHY DOES SCHOOL COST SO MUCH /rant) every few months, to rack up points. . You seem to be heading in right direction though , you have a good sense of credit from your post , but just a little warning not to get caught up in the CSP Siren  , if it going to not help you.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 3 of 13
Leadberry
Established Contributor

From reading OP's one post, he seems pretty intelligent to me.  He's clearly done his research and come up with a solid contingency plan.  Judging by the way you guys are talking about a $95/year fee, you'd think he was living under the poverty line.  I'm curious as to what makes you guys think he doesn't already "understand his own situation," or why you think he's not making "the adult choice."  I don't think he's done anything to warrant such a heavy-handed lecture.

OP, good luck--I hope everything works out for you!

Edit:  Someone pulled a ninja edit on me!  Some of my statements no longer apply.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 4 of 13
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Yes, besides no foreign transaction fees, can you tell us more about why you want the CSP in particular? In reality, there may be other, less costly cards that may also meet your needs.

In addition to the Discover and Capital One cards already mentioned, I'll make a plug for a no-FTF card I currently have, the BankAmericard Travel Rewards. It earns 1.5% per dollar on all purchases (and 3% on travel booked through their website) and also has no AF and an EMV chip for international travel. I like it for everyday purchases, and it seems like it would suit your needs well.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 5 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

First of all, I gave no such lecture, so please do not group me in with the other poster's advice.

Second, I am not implying that the OP can't afford the AF, I was simply asking if the AF made sense for his spending. Affording an AF and profiting off an AF when compared to similar credit cards without an AF are two different things. Typically, a high level of spending is required to profit off an AF card. For example, if OP pays rent of $600 per month, that leaves only $22,200 remaining for credit card purchases. Then, lets take out all of the purchases that would only receive 1% cash back with the CSP, since many other cards offer 1% without an AF.

Then we keep digging, and that's how you determine if an AF is worth it. I make significantly more than $30,000 annually, and the CSP is in no way profitable for me.

Also, for the OP, just learned about the TD Bank First Class Visa Signature tonight. You should google it and see if it looks appealing (hint: it should). Plus, it's from the US subsidiary of a bank you must be very familiar with.

Edit: I agree that the OP sounds very smart.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 13
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
First of all, I gave no such lecture, so please do not group me in with the other poster's advice.

Second, I am not implying that the OP can't afford the AF, I was simply asking if the AF made sense for his spending. Affording an AF and profiting off an AF when compared to similar credit cards without an AF are two different things. Typically, a high level of spending is required to profit off an AF card. For example, if OP pays rent of $600 per month, that leaves only $22,200 remaining for credit card purchases. Then, lets take out all of the purchases that would only receive 1% cash back with the CSP, since many other cards offer 1% without an AF.

Then we keep digging, and that's how you determine if an AF is worth it. I make significantly more than $30,000 annually, and the CSP is in no way profitable for me.

Also, for the OP, just learned about the TD Bank First Class Visa Signature tonight. You should google it and see if it looks appealing (hint: it should). Plus, it's from the US subsidiary of a bank you must be very familiar with.

SnackTrader, my post was directed solely at toppers--I did not mean to offend.  I understand I did not choose the correct wording for the situation.  I also noticed that toppers edited his post and noted that my objections no longer apply.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 7 of 13
toppers555
Established Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

SnackTrader, my post was directed solely at toppers--I did not mean to offend.  I understand I did not choose the correct wording for the situation.  I also noticed that toppers edited his post and noted that my objections no longer apply.

Yes I ninja you some of my wording was not the best.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 8 of 13
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Smiley Happy

FICO Scores 800+
Message 9 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

IMO and its just that IMO

I would consider the cap1 venture cards because of no transfer fees and a chase freedom card. Both have great rewards and then garden for while building a relationship with chase at the same time for the CSP 

You have definitely displayed much thought into your game plan. Good Luck!

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.