cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building up credit....slowly

tag
kslm14

Building up credit....slowly

Hey everyone im new to the forums after doing lots of reading on here I decided this was the best place to join!
Anyway, I am in the process of building credit and I am just looking for some advice on how to continue this.

I currently have a WF secured credit card that will become a regular card next month with a. CL of $500 and a student card from CapOne with a CL of $300. I have a car loan with no late payments and I've made my first 4 payments already. I recently applied for a discover it card and was shocked to hear I was approved with a $1500 CL (my highest so far obviously). So my question is, what next? Should I open up another card? Or should I just manage the ones I have? My score is not so great, mid 600's so that approval at discover really shocked me.

Any advice on which cards would be an easy approval?

My income is high so high limits are no problem, as long as I can get approval of course.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Building up credit....slowly

Welcome to the forum!

Obtaining additional cc's should be based on what you need. Do you need another cc? Rewards, travel, cashback? Are there any baddies, inq's , how long have you had rev cc's?

Message 2 of 14
kslm14

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome!

No baddies and a few inq's (not sure maybe 5?)

I really want a good card to use for gas! Something that's gives maximum rewards for gas would be great!

I don't travel often and if I do it's by car (more gas!)
Message 3 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 14
kslm14

Mid 600's all across. Not 100% sure but they can't be that bad and I have no late payments at all I do have some high balances (70%) on both wf and CapOne card.
Message 5 of 14
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

I would say sit on those cards for about 6 months, let them age like a fine wine and reasses your situation then. Time is your best friend right now.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 6 of 14
kslm14

Thanks!!!
Message 7 of 14
vish1
Valued Contributor

If you hold your horses for the next 6 months, IMO you will be good for any card you want. At that point, you can actually get a card with some great sign up bonus. Citi AA / Some chase / barclay card with good signup (whatever good signup you can come across).

This forum is a good place to look for cash signup bonuses. Flytertalk is good for miles bonuses.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 8 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Before applying for a new cc it would be best to get your cr profile in the best position. A lower util, no baddies and low inq's are key for a successful outcome ESP on a thin file. You do not want just an approval but a higher CL and terms. The high util and thin file are your enemy now. Both can be rectified - paying your debt down when you are ready to apply and let your new accts age.

Good luck!
Message 9 of 14
kslm14

Thanks everyone really helpful advice!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.