Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bummed For cash advance

tag
Makersmark23
New Contributor

Bummed For cash advance

So I am traveling to the Dominican Republic and realize that I forgot to put cash in my wallet to pay the $10 fee to get into the country.  All I had on me was my QS and amex.  I went to some exchange kiosk to get cash from my QS card and realized today that I was charged a cash advance fee of $10.  I took out $50.

im really bummed because I work very hard to make only the best credit decisions and account for every reward dollar as a win.  Never paid interest in my life.  Here I had no choice for the first time.

will the bank red flag me over this?  Is it worth it to call them and explain why I had to?

the fact that I lost money with a credit card for the first time really gets to me 😒

[img]http://s26.postimage.org/vht4qanid/Sallie_Mae_WMC.jpg[/img]
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Bummed For cash advance

Why are you so upset about this? Cash advances are not a 'red flag' unless your account is brand new and you take out a large amount. I don't really understand any of your other emotions. Have fun in the DR!

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 11
Makersmark23
New Contributor

DR is awesome!

maybe I am slightly obsessive about this but it's like a discipline game to me.  To have to pay the credit card company anything just sucks to me.  Never planned to use cash advance ever.

im not goin nuts here but I just wanted to know the repercussions to doing a cash advance like this.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

don't let 10 dollars ruin your vacation. things happen and just be glad that it wasn't much more than 10 bucks.

Just have fun and think of it as giving credit card company one time allowence for the service they provided for you.

Message 4 of 11
Jlu
Established Contributor

Yeah, really - enjoy your vacation. You're like the poster child for why they have cash advances - you could probably be in a TV commercial with that same situation and have it look perfectly normal to the audience.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 11
Makersmark23
New Contributor

Taking the $10 bucks out as a rewards credit makes it feel a little better haha

Message 6 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

No comments. No way I leave country without plenty of cash. At least debit card besides my credit cards. Good luck. 

Message 7 of 11
yfan
Valued Contributor

Why would you have to pay the entrance fee in cash? Don't they accept credit cards for that?

Message 8 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Makersmark23 wrote:

So I am traveling to the Dominican Republic and realize that I forgot to put cash in my wallet to pay the $10 fee to get into the country.  All I had on me was my QS and amex.  I went to some exchange kiosk to get cash from my QS card and realized today that I was charged a cash advance fee of $10.  I took out $50.

im really bummed because I work very hard to make only the best credit decisions and account for every reward dollar as a win.  Never paid interest in my life.  Here I had no choice for the first time.

will the bank red flag me over this?  Is it worth it to call them and explain why I had to?

the fact that I lost money with a credit card for the first time really gets to me 😒

if you are worried about, login to credit card website, PIF or at least the balance transfer and fee amount, so they can see it wasn't a Cash issue it was a cash flow issue. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 11
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Look on the bright side, THAT is why you have cards, for emergencies. That card/bank took care of you, be grateful. (you paid a price though, which is life)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.