Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business CC question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Business CC question

I am curious as to what it takes to qualify for a business cc.  I am not a business owner but I often travel and incur expenses during the regular course of my job.  I figured it would be easier if I could get a separate cc for business purposes only so as to keep my business expenses separate from my personal ones.

Does an applicant have to be a business owner to qualify for a business cc?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Business CC question

The card for you may be the Citi Professional or some such hybrid card that you can use for business expenses but still reports to personal.  In order to legitimately get a biz card, you must have a registered business and it is more helpful to have a FEIN and an DNB number.  As a independant contractor I am a sole prop and DBA entity for tax purposes.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Brammy!  Smiley Happy

Btw, I love the "legitimately" qualifier in your response because this credit novice aspires to be strictly above-board and completely legit!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

lurknomore wrote:
Thanks, Brammy!  Smiley Happy

Btw, I love the "legitimately" qualifier in your response because this credit novice aspires to be strictly above-board and completely legit!

Only threw that in there because I am well aware of some 'not so legitimate' applications and approvals for biz credit.  Usually used to hide personal spending.

Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Did I see (prob on the Citi Professional Card site) that business cards don't carry the same consumer protections as personal cards? "Consumer protections" being a relative term, of course...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes there are protections not offered on Biz cards for one especially if you have multiple cards issued to employees.  I don't think they are going to eat charges your employee ran up cause you said you didn't auth.  tht and businesses have the right to write off certain things as a loss.  There is definitely as tradeoff for biz credit, but I would rather trade than have my personal hgihly utilized most of the time...lol!!!  Now that I have biz cards, I can finally put those pesky expenses there and write off the interest.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Did I see (prob on the Citi Professional Card site) that business cards don't carry the same consumer protections as personal cards? "Consumer protections" being a relative term, of course...

Visa’s Zero Liability policy covers U.S.–issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify issuer promptly of any unauthorized use. Consult issuer for additional details or visit
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.