Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy Car w/CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buy Car w/CC?

Considered buying a bike on cc.. decided insurance would be too high.
Message 11 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

Sure, but you'd have to negotiate the fee.  My last car purchase, the dealer wanted an extra 5% if I were to use my CC.

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid $3,000 down payment with a cc. I never told the dealer before the deal was done. I didn't want him to charge me more to use the cc. I told him all I have is a cc and it's up to him if he wants to continue with the sale with the same deal.

Message 13 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid $3,000 down payment with a cc. I never told the dealer before the deal was done. I didn't want him to charge me more to use the cc. I told him all I have is a cc and it's up to him if he wants to continue with the sale with the same deal.

For the first $5,000, dealers won't charge a fee.  However, if you wanted to charge the entire vehicle, then you'd have to negotiate the fee.  I just walk away, and see if they're desparate enough to concede.  It helps to go in near the end of their month when they must meet their sale quotas.

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For the first $5,000, dealers won't charge a fee.  However, if you wanted to charge the entire vehicle, then you'd have to negotiate the fee.  I just walk away, and see if they're desparate enough to concede.  It helps to go in near the end of their month when they must meet their sale quotas.

Agreed.. I like buying cars at the end of the month.. You can just smell the desperation and they will do just about anything for a deal..  I remember one sales guy tellig me his wife just had a baby and he was the only one working and needed to work hard.  Very very good info. as I just smiled..

Message 15 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Sure, but you'd have to negotiate the fee.  My last car purchase, the dealer wanted an extra 5% if I were to use my CC.

I put a substantial amount of my last Auto purchase on CC as a down payment. I basically told them that if there was an addtl fee to do the CC i'd walk. They listened and I got a Ficus out of it. Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just bought a car in the middle of March and I put a $1500 DP on the car I didn't have to but wanted to and that $1500 basically covered the TT&L so I would only be financing the actual price of the car

I had my credit union bank card and my Venture card with me. I was ready to use my debit card but remembered about the 40,000 point bonus on the Venture so I used that which got me over the $3K to meet the bonus. The dealer never charged me extra (but it was only $1.5K) and a couple days later I got the 40,000 bonus point on my Venture so it worked out in the end and I was glad I had it on me! As soon as it posted I paid it off asap.
Message 17 of 48
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I put a substantial amount of my last Auto purchase on CC as a down payment. I basically told them that if there was an addtl fee to do the CC i'd walk. They listened and I got a Ficus out of it. Smiley Tongue

A plant? Ficus benjamina

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stagefoursurvivor wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

A plant? Ficus benjamina

Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 48
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@stagefoursurvivor wrote:

Anyone get limited by the amount?

Never done it myself but it's quite common.  Consider the fees the dealer has to pay.  As someone else stated, if they're willing to eat the card fee then they're probably making it up (and possible more) elsewhere.

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.