Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy Car w/CC?

tag
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

Re: Buy Car w/CC?

I manage to put $2,000 in down payment using CC. The limit is $5,000 for most dealerships.

Message 31 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@stagefoursurvivor wrote:

A new Altima for $8K? Where did you bury the body?

Acid bath.

LOL.  No, $12k in trade-in.

Chris.

Message 32 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A new Altima for $8K? Where did you bury the body?

Acid bath.

LOL.  No, $12k in trade-in.

Chris.

Ah, so it was YOU that took the acid bath. Smiley Tongue

Message 33 of 48
OffToBetterStart
Valued Member

Anyone ever use a CC to buy a car or make a large down payment? I was thinking about ways to take advantage of 0% APRs...

I just did this with two cards and got my spend bonus .  Some car lots charge 3% fee so ask them first . I was lucky and found one that didnt charge the fee.
NFCU Cash Rewards $10,000 -Cap 1 Venture $10,750 - Care Credit $7,000 - Cap 1 Quicksilver $5,000 - Cap 1 Venture 1 $5,000 - Barclays Arrival $6,150 - Barclay Rewards $3,190 -Cap 1 Quicksilver $6,000 - Walmart $700
BK7 Discharge 1/04/2013
Current Scores EX (657) EQ (671) TU (644)
Message 34 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with someof the other responders.  If they are letting you pay ANY part witha a card you did not bargain hard enough.

Message 35 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question. So if the maximum most dealerships allow you to pay with a cc is 5k say I find a local dealer with a used car I'd like thats about $4500. As long as this dealership accepts cc payments and all I basically need is an A to B car is there any reason to go through financing and monthly payments for a newer, more expensive car when I could use a 0% APR card and pay this off in chunks over a few months? New car smell is nice its just not necessary in my situation. Not sure if dealerships only accept down payments with a cc or if you can buy a used car outright with a cc.

Message 36 of 48
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Question. So if the maximum most dealerships allow you to pay with a cc is 5k say I find a local dealer with a used car I'd like thats about $4500. As long as this dealership accepts cc payments and all I basically need is an A to B car is there any reason to go through financing and monthly payments for a newer, more expensive car when I could use a 0% APR card and pay this off in chunks over a few months? New car smell is nice its just not necessary in my situation. Not sure if dealerships only accept down payments with a cc or if you can buy a used car outright with a cc.

Sure you can buy it with a CC, but they will pass the "savings" onto you or lack there of.. Either they will not make as good of a deal I suspect or get a good deal and charge you 3% swipe fee...They sure aren't going to eat the fees.  You realize you are talking about car sale people right? Smiley Happy..  Comission and more comission!

Message 37 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

In theory...Yes.

You could also use a convenience check.
Message 38 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Sure you can buy it with a CC, but they will pass the "savings" onto you or lack there of.. Either they will not make as good of a deal I suspect or get a good deal and charge you 3% swipe fee...They sure aren't going to eat the fees.  You realize you are talking about car sale people right? Smiley Happy..  Comission and more comission!

So its either spend a lot over time making payments, likely with interest, or purchase a used car and eat the 3% swipe fee after I negotiate them down to whatever I see fit or walk away bc I'm not paying any advertised prices Smiley Tongue Fair enough. Something to think about.

Message 39 of 48
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

I put the down payment ($3K) for my recent car purchase on my credit card.  Last year I purchased the extended warranty for my bike ($1.5K) on my credit card.  Figured why not get the points.  In both cases, I paid them off as soon as the transactions posted on my account.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.