cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy something with revolving credit now or wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy something with revolving credit now or wait?

I plan on trying to obtain a mortgage loan next month.  My Experian Fico Score 2 is at 645 and is my middle number that my bank will be going by for the loan.  The bank said they need the score to be at least 640.  I'm not exactly comfortable with just a 5 point difference between what I have and what they want. 

My Experian report says that one of the reasons my score is being hurt is that "There are no recent balances on your revolving accounts".  I only have one revolving account and the current balance is $0.  My revolving account is with Rooms To Go.  If I go buy something cheap (say a lamp) and use my card, Will my score drop, stay the same, or increase immediatly? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buy something with revolving credit now or wait?

$0 balance on all cards is same as 30% utilization. Buy a candy on your card.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It won't hit your credit immediately though. Where are you in your loan process? When does your statement close? The balance will (likely) be reported to the CRAs a couple days after the statement closes, so if that fits in with your timeline, then go for it. (And you can also likely return your purchase after it's served it's purpose  if it's not something you truly wanted). 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm already living in the home that I want to purchase.  I need to reapply for the home loan no later than Jan 2016.  Therefore, I actually do have a couple months of play room.  I was looking at applying for the loan next month... but now I'm thinking  I need to wait until my Jan deadlline and get a balance on that revolving credit and let it do some magic to my score. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say do it now and then pay it off before the loan. Our mortgage guy said not to touch any of our cards with a 10 foot pole within 30 days of applying for the loan and not for another 10 days after the purchase was completed.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.