Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BuyPower Card from Capital One

tag
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

BuyPower Card from Capital One

Is this a new card ? I have not seen it before.

• Every purchase earns rewards that can help you save toward a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle
  • Get 5% Earnings on your first $5,000 in purchases every year
  • Unlimited 2% Earnings on every purchase after that
  • Your Earnings don't expire and there's no limit on how much you can earn or redeem
  • For an even better value, use your Earnings on top of your best agreed-upon price and most current GM offers
  • 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months, then 11.9% - 19.9% variable APR on purchases
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • No annual fee

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: BuyPower Card from Capital One

@-Wade- wrote:

• Every purchase earns rewards that can help you save toward a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle
  • Your Earnings don't expire and there's no limit on how much you can earn or redeem
  • For an even better value, use your Earnings on top of your best agreed-upon price and most current GM offers
  • 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months, then 11.9% - 19.9% variable APR on purchases
  • No annual fee

Is the cash back only applicable to purchasing an car i am confused?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 10
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

• No annual fee

Yeah, that's the way i read it. Looks like a good card for people who are looking  to buy a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

• No annual fee

Yeah, that's the way i read it. Looks like a good card for people who are looking  to buy a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle

The thing that i don't understand is i didn't think you could buy vehicles with credit cards, or am i missing something. I am thinking maybe the rewards apply to accessories for after you purchase/lease your car?

Message 4 of 10
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

• No annual fee

Previously called the GM card...CapOne acquired from HSBC

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/cap-one-unveils-new-gm-card/

https://www.gmcard.com/about-the-card?cd=gmcard

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 5 of 10
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

The GM Buypower card has been around for quite a while. It used to be GM Mastercard going back to 1992, but I'm pretty sure it was there in this form when I bought a GM vehicle in '06. The Buypower name used to be their referral site back around y2k.

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 6 of 10
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

quite ironically, this will be the first time ever i have had a card with capone that has a half decent standard purchase apr (16%), as well as nice starting limit (7500)

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 7 of 10
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

The thing that i don't understand is i didn't think you could buy vehicles with credit cards, or am i missing something. I am thinking maybe the rewards apply to accessories for after you purchase/lease your car?

I believe you accumulate the equivalent of vouchers for the cash back. You can then pay part of the cost of your car with them:

"As a down payment, to lower your monthly payment, to add extra optional equipment...the choice is yours."

That being said, you may be able to purchase a vehicle with a charge card. I contracted for a guy 20ish years ago who bought 2-3 cars for his family on his Amex and PIFed, and it got his card upgraded big time. You may lose a little bit of haggling power with that ~2-3% surcharge being involved, but I believe it can be done. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 8 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

I believe you accumulate the equivalent of vouchers for the cash back. You can then pay part of the cost of your car with them:

"As a down payment, to lower your monthly payment, to add extra optional equipment...the choice is yours."

That being said, you may be able to purchase a vehicle with a charge card. I contracted for a guy 20ish years ago who bought 2-3 cars for his family on his Amex and PIFed, and it got his card upgraded big time. You may lose a little bit of haggling power with that ~2-3% surcharge being involved, but I believe it can be done. 

Ahhh i see well I learn something new every day :-) Didn't know that i have always put an down payment on the car and would get an 36 month loan or something like that. This plan seems interesting if you going to buy those types of cars i suppose.

Message 9 of 10
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

Ahhh i see well I learn something new every day :-) Didn't know that i have always put an down payment on the car and would get an 36 month loan or something like that. This plan seems interesting if you going to buy those types of cars i suppose.

it's definitely good if you have a lot of spend and want one of their included cars. 5% on first $2500/year and 2% unlimited after that. So if you spend half a million in one year you get $10k toward a car. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.