Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Bitcoin

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying Bitcoin

How do CC companies code the purchase of Bitcoin? Purchase or cash advance? I need to purchase some BC but don't want to get slammed with Cash Advance fees. And I apologize to the mods if this post is misplaced.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying Bitcoin

It most likely depends on where you're buying from. Different vendors can have different ways of coding. If I were you, I'd call my credit card company and ask them to drop your cash advance limit down to $0 then make the purchase (or a low amount and charge more than that amount). If it can only code as a cash advance then the charge will be declined. 

Message 2 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-Cal- wrote:

It most likely depends on where you're buying from. Different vendors can have different ways of coding. If I were you, I'd call my credit card company and ask them to drop your cash advance limit down to $0 then make the purchase (or a low amount and charge more than that amount). If it can only code as a cash advance then the charge will be declined. 

Right, if it is coded as a financial institution, issuers are more likely to code as Cash Advance (not all, but more likely!)  Cal's suggestion will prevent fees, it may cause some things to fail that would be OK (some code as cash advances initially but go to purchases once they post) but better to be safe here than have large charges

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great responses, thank you both! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.