Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Phone cards with CC.

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Buying Phone cards with CC.

People have talked about using their CC to buy gift card / phone cards and then having the bank close down their CC for using it to buy gift card / phone cards. So I wanted to ask if I was to buy phone cards for my phone each mouth is that something I need to be concerned about doing?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying Phone cards with CC.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, what they are talking about are gift cards and in high monetary value. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You'll be fine if you're just purchasing a phone card every month. The problem comes with a high volume of gift cards.

Message 3 of 8
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

People have talked about using their CC to buy gift card / phone cards and then having the bank close down their CC for using it to buy gift card / phone cards. So I wanted to ask if I was to buy phone cards for my phone each mouth is that something I need to be concerned about doing?

I use my card to purchase prepaid VoIP service, which is basically like buying calling cards (in fact, one of the VoIP services I use I believe shows up as like "Calling card service" or something like that on the statement). I have never heard anything from Barclays or AMEX about these purchases. I wouldn't worry about it. And if they ask, I obviously am making or receiving phone calls on those accounts, so it's not as if I'm buying the service to resell it. I think as long you're not doing anything fishy (ie buying thousands of dollars in GCs monthly), you won't hear anything from any issuer about buying GCs for yourself or as a gift. I have also bought iTunes gift cards (for myself) on my AMEX, Barclaycard, and Citi cards and Amazon gift cards as gifts on my Barclaycard if it makes you feel better. Just don't buy anything way out of normal spending ranges for the average consumer and you'll be fine.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 4 of 8
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

I would not be getting phone cards for my Verizon phone that you get 2gb of data instead of 500mb for the same price at Walmart.

Message 5 of 8
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone been decline a gift card purchase?? I tired recently buying some gift cards and they were decline... I called in to see what's up and they said gifts cards are treated as in cash advance and not my revolving limit XD.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JaeJae12 wrote:
Has anyone been decline a gift card purchase?? I tired recently buying some gift cards and they were decline... I called in to see what's up and they said gifts cards are treated as in cash advance and not my revolving limit XD.

Let me guess. citibank card?

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Let me guess. citibank card?

And also where?   (Level 3 reporting).    Did they know you were buying gift cards or did you tell them.

Fairly recently I was declined buying a single $500 gift card by TWO cards, simply because I hadn't used them at that store before, so sometimes it is simply a fraud alert.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.