Did you mean: 

Buying Prepaid Gift Cards (with CC)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Buying Prepaid Gift Cards (with CC)

@w003ptr wrote:

@john398 wrote:

I don't think you can use gift cards to buy Moneuy Orders at Wal Mart only Debit Cards but I could be wrong

It's a gift card debit card with a PIN.  If I swipe it at the machine, it functions just like a debit card.

There have been reports that at some walmarts there is a policy of no gift cards to load BB or buy money orders.   No problem around me, but many reports from around the country.  So, just be prepared, you may need to go to more than one!

Message 11 of 14
w003ptr
Contributor

Re: Buying Prepaid Gift Cards (with C)

@juggalo9er wrote:

I use a different method..Buy the gift cards and pull all the money off at my credit union who happily does it for free.....

Interesting.. They just give you cash?

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 12 of 14
w003ptr
Contributor

Re: Buying Prepaid Gift Cards (with CC)

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

For people who have done this and then used the gift card to purchase a money order, say at Walmart, can you use multiple gift cards to pay for a single money order?

The highest denomination they have around here is $500, but I need money orders in the amount of ~$800 to pay rent.  Does Walmart accept multiple forms of payment when purchasing a money order?  These gift cards do have the PIN option, so I'm sure it will work in purchasing money orders at Walmart.

I don't think Wally even issues money orders higher than $500.  IIRC, I had to buy multiple money orders last time I needed over $500, but that was a few years ago. 

Regional maybe, I have no problem buying $1000 MOs there.

Or firmly relegated to the dustbin of history.  Last time I would have needed to buy money orders at Wally was 2009.  I've been able to get free cashier's checks at my CU for a few years now. 

Can you use gift cards with PINs?

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 13 of 14
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying Prepaid Gift Cards (with C)

@w003ptr wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

I use a different method..Buy the gift cards and pull all the money off at my credit union who happily does it for free.....

Interesting.. They just give you cash?

well not give lol but yes you can take a cash advance off any card af no added fee from the bank

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.