Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a car on a credit card?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Buying a car on a credit card?

I've looked into leasing b335i. Even though the CLA is the least expensive entry level MBenz has, they treat leasing like it's an E class and expect you to pay like 450-550 a month.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 21 of 53
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Last I called, they said 3.19 or something like that was the lowest, but they were offering like 0.9 on "select" CPOs

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 22 of 53
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

I've looked into leasing b335i. Even though the CLA is the least expensive entry level MBenz has, they treat leasing like it's an E class and expect you to pay like 450-550 a month.

while I wouldn't lease since you have half down the lease specials are like $319 and $359 for awd or something close to that with $3-$4k down.

Message 23 of 53
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I bought a $12k car on a card before. It's really up to the dealers. They usually won't since they make money through the financing and the fees with usung cards are high.

Message 24 of 53
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Good points everyone.

I'm talked out of buying a new car at all. LOL

Ill just wait a year and see how much I can save. Big blue wont depreciate much in the next  year! Besides, by the time next year rolls around, I can prob find a CLA with 20k or so miles and get a rullllll gewd deal! lol

Message 25 of 53
compassion101
Established Contributor

I'd keep the car and put the 15k into interest bearing accounts, roth ira, etc

Message 26 of 53
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I bought my son a new car last August.  Once I had figured out what he wanted, we went to the finance guy.  I told him my CU offered me a rate of 1.9%, if he could beat it, he could have it.   He punched my info into the computer, looked at me and said 1.74% from BOA.   I told him sold.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 27 of 53
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I'd never rely on a dealership to find financing. I went to three credit unions and got my approval and that was the end of it. I got 2.74 on 33,000, which isn't that bad. I thought about using a card with 0% interest and balance transfer to another and another until it's paid down, but it's risky. Suppose something happens and you can't pay back the money before 0% runs out? At least with a loan you have 2-8? years to pay and only have a small amount to pay and can still keep the interest rate.

Keep in mind that even though it's 0%, the fee what you can call interest. 3% isn't bad though, so that shouldn't be that big of a deal. You say you've been talked out of it, but if it's what you really want, I say go for it. My mom and a few others kept telling me to buy something cheaper and I don't need my dream vehicle at the "young" age of 23, but I told them it's not their business and I would do what makes me happy. I bought it six months ago and haven't regretted making the decision.

Message 28 of 53
johnpalley
Established Contributor

@junior88 wrote:

If you happen to apply with State Farm it is a TU pull and it takes like maybe an hour. You will be approved no problem.

do they need income verification?

Message 29 of 53
asulaw
Established Member

I agree with what Shogun and Creditaddict are saying, stay away from putting this car onto a card. Think about what all that revolving credit is going to do to you, and god forbid something may come up that you desperately need that availability. Not until recently did I have a larger limit on my cards, and something came up and I had my limit available for me to use.

You should do what Shogun did and see what they will do. A lot of times they will crumble in front of you just so they can get the sale. Too bad it isn't December, I know they like to do stuff around then because they want their sales to look good for the end of the year.

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.