Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house with credit cards

tag
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Re: Buying a house with credit cards

@fltn wrote:

Yeah I am ready to have rental property. I am gonna be the nicest landlord.

No reporting for breaking lease. Got 3 dogs and 2 cats. Ok no problem.

House in this area goes for $1000 plus first last and deposit and $500 pet fee, lol.

I will do $750 a month, $500 deposit, and $100 per pet. I had landlords like that, no many, but when I did, I lived at those places longer.

It's easy to be a "nice landlord" - until you get bad tenants.

Keep in mind that it will be YOUR property that gets seized by authorities when the neighbors start complaining about the odors coming from the meth-lab, or the high amount of foot traffic at night, because that's where the pot is being grown.

Landlords can sometimes be tough - but they weren't born that way...

Hard experience has taught them some valuable lessons in dealing with people who have nothing invested. 

There are good reasons to have strict rules - otherwise, dogs and cats will be the least of your troubles.

Message 31 of 41
fltn
Frequent Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@fltn wrote:

House in this area goes for $1000 plus first last and deposit and $500 pet fee, lol.

I will do $750 a month, $500 deposit, and $100 per pet. I had landlords like that, no many, but when I did, I lived at those places longer.

Keep in mind that it will be YOUR property that gets seized by authorities when the neighbors start complaining about the odors coming from the meth-lab, or the high amount of foot traffic at night, because that's where the pot is being grown.

Hard experience has taught them some valuable lessons in dealing with people who have nothing invested. 

There are good reasons to have strict rules - otherwise, dogs and cats will be the least of your troubles.

Oh I agree completely. That is what background checks are for.

I will have a strict lease, just saying, I will not hold someone to a 12 month lease if they need to move and sue them for remaining months. Or rip them off with pet fees.

I will rent cheaper to have it not sit empty for long so I can get someone else in when someone breaks a lease.

Now if they destroy the place, that is another story.

But a few days late on the rent won't be followed by a $50/$75 late fee.

A lease will also have a "14 days to vacate" to help with an eviction process. Most states require more time unless the lease states otherwise.

I just believe that sometimes people treat other peoples property better if they know that their landlord does understand things come up. Plus for a house this will be paid off in less than a year, it's not like I need that payment by a certain date to cover a mortage payment. It makes it easier to be a little nicer.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 32 of 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

While I appreciate the discussion on being a landlord, lets all remember to stay on topic Smiley Very Happy

If anyone wants to discuss landlord issues, feel free to PM me. I have been a landlord since 2008.  You are also welcome to start a thread in the Smorgasboard forum.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 33 of 41
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@fltn wrote:

+1. There is so much truth to this.

After several issues regarding pets we simply don't take them anymore for any reason. The only pets we allow are self-contained ones (fish, hamsters, or essentially anything in a cage that isn't let out). I watched several cases where we had to pull out carpets, the floorboards underneath (which were soaked with piss since the pets were never let out), the walls were all scratched up and had to be re-done, etc. It simply wasn't worth the hassle.

Also you need to be aware of the legal issues around being a landlord. People these days are so eager to sue you for any little thing just to get some cash. Even if they are in the wrong it's often not worth it to go after them. If you win, you're still out legal fees which you can't recoup since you can't take money that they don't have. Often this is why they're renting.

Nowadays we won't even consider someone (even for a 1 bedroom unit) if they're not making at least 100k, but what we're really after is 125-150k. These are people who make enough to be afraid of doing the wrong thing (and therefore have assets that can be taken), and also who make enough to eventually purchase their own home. Nothing is worse in a rent-conrolled city than having a tenant who stays forever, so we want them in and out ideally in a few years.

I think we're quite fair in most accounts (like we'll let late rent slide by a few days on occasion because we understand stuff happens sometimes), but there are some hard and fast rules that simply aren't to be broken. Once you make one exception, then everyone expects it and will sue you for discrimination if they don't get it.

Back to the original topic yes it's possible, as I watched my father purchase 3 houses with his Merrill Lynch card (although this was quite awhile ago and this had already been setup with them).With hindsight I felt awful because I walked out of one of those homes saying "let's get out of this dump", yet that was this elderly couple's life work. I was just a kid then, but I guess you don't learn certain things until you get older.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 41
winner88
Contributor

4 digit price? that is easy ..

depending on what rewards cards you have .. you can simply buy visa / mastercard giftcards from giftcardmall.com (if you go thru referal site like topcashback or bigcrunch it basically  eliminates the cost of the gidtcards).

Use those giftcards to load your American Express bluebird for free at walmart..  you can write a check  (free) on the bluebird account, or withdraw the money directly to your bank account (free).

You get your 4 digit Cash for the house, earn points for the purchase and no 3% cash advance fee to worry about.

NB: Avoid using citicard for this.. they are about the only big bank that code this as a cash advance rather than regular purchase

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 35 of 41
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

UPDATE: The bank accepted my offer! The bad news is that they want to close in a week. I had to agree everything they asked because I was afraid I'd lose out to the backup offerer if I couldn't meet their terms, but this definitely puts a crunch on me. It turns out that neither of my highest CL cards is offering BT checks right now and their regular BT terms don't allow transfering to bank accounts. Even if they did, BT without checks can take weeks.

I'll make this work somehow.

@winner88, thank you for adding to the creative suggestions, but even if I could get a Bluebird card in the next few days, wouldn't buying thousands of dollars in gift cards (especially with rewards cards) put me at risk of AA?

Message 36 of 41
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

UPDATE: The bank accepted my offer! The bad news is that they want to close in a week. I had to agree everything they asked because I was afraid I'd lose out to the backup offerer if I couldn't meet their terms, but this definitely puts a crunch on me. It turns out that neither of my highest CL cards is offering BT checks right now and their regular BT terms don't allow transfering to bank accounts. Even if they did, BT without checks can take weeks.

I'll make this work somehow.

@winner88, thank you for adding to the creative suggestions, but even if I could get a Bluebird card in the next few days, wouldn't buying thousands of dollars in gift cards (especially with rewards cards) put me at risk of AA?

Congrats on the house I know you will get it doneSmiley Wink 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 37 of 41
Ridewithme38
New Contributor

Sorry for bumping am old thread, I just thought this was interesting. Its not possible for me, so my question is just hypothetical.

A mortgage is a secured loan, if you dont pay, they take the house. If you put the house on credit cards, unsecured debt, and don't pay, you still keep the house, right?
3/12/2014:Experian: 684 ~ Equifax: 701 ~ Transunion: 678
4/16/2014:Experian: 718 ~ Equifax: 691 ~ Transunion: 707
7/31/2015:Experian: 660 ~ Equifax: 650 ~ Transunion: 661
8/28/2015:Experian: 716 ~ Equifax: 723 ~ Transunion: 743
Open: Venture (8/15) $10,000 VentureOne(8/15) $10,000 Barclay RCI Elite Rewards (4/14) $5,000 Quicksilver (8/12) $4,550 PayPal SmartConnect (11/07) $4,000 Simmons (8/15): $3,000 STS Credit Card (CFNA): $1,600
Gardening starting August 13, 2015 till....Goal: 760 across the board or bust!! (I need a car)
Message 38 of 41
john398
Senior Contributor

LOL I just read this thread thinking it was new, hope it worked out for him

Message 39 of 41
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

@john398 wrote:

LOL I just read this thread thinking it was new, hope it worked out for him

same here! I hate cliffhanger endings. 

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.