Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an engagement ring - 18 months free options

tag
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

Re: Buying an engagement ring - 18 months free options

I do not think financing is a bad idea especially if your getting an incentive like no interest. I have financed all my watches I own which are Rolex's and Panerai's and there all paid off and the only reason I financed them was because they offer me no interest for 2 years. I think financing all comes down to responsibility, disipline and what you can afford.

Message 41 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ I agree. I never pay interest except on things necessary. No way around student loans. And I took out a car loan, I got hired out of college with no money and no car. I took out a loan and got a newer reliable car cus I drive a lot and don't have time to deal with repairs. Besides those two, interest free on everything. Until I get a mortgage.

When I opened my ashley furnitre accts thru wells Fargo I paid no interest and needed a new bed ASAP and didn't want to use savings. Then I needed a washer and dryer ASAP and did the same thing. These only overlapped 2 months and even though I could easily afford I still didn't like the idea of having two at the same time. Now I paid off the lowes which I still have 12 months. I plan to pay the ring way faster than my free interest term.
Message 42 of 49
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@FrugalRican wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

My DGF wanted to pay off the rest of my CC debt before I'm even allowed to propose. So I am paying cash, but just wanted to see what people thought about financing a ring. Unfortunately, I have no family with family heirlooms so a new ring it is. She could care less how big the stone is as long as there is a ring involved.

Just curious as to how webhopper ended up paying for her own engagement ring?

I was the co-signer on the Zales account... He left town and didn't pay, so I had to pay.

As to the poster who asked about how to get a ring if you don't have 4k laying around: If you don't have 4k laying around, or at least access to 4k easily, then you aren't ready to be married.  Marriage is a responsibility and a committment to love and care for someone besides yourself... how can you make the committment without the resources to fall back on in case "Murphy" happens. Money problems end a lot of marriages. I think two people should be financially secure before marriage.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 43 of 49
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

My DGF wanted to pay off the rest of my CC debt before I'm even allowed to propose. So I am paying cash, but just wanted to see what people thought about financing a ring. Unfortunately, I have no family with family heirlooms so a new ring it is. She could care less how big the stone is as long as there is a ring involved.

Just curious as to how webhopper ended up paying for her own engagement ring?

I was the co-signer on the Zales account... He left town and didn't pay, so I had to pay.

As to the poster who asked about how to get a ring if you don't have 4k laying around: If you don't have 4k laying around, or at least access to 4k easily, then you aren't ready to be married.  Marriage is a responsibility and a committment to love and care for someone besides yourself... how can you make the committment without the resources to fall back on in case "Murphy" happens. Money problems end a lot of marriages. I think two people should be financially secure before marriage.

+1

But situations where money is tight and you both understand that should be noted and a real financial plan should be made.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 44 of 49
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

+1

But situations where money is tight and you both understand that should be noted and a real financial plan should be made.

+1 

Financially secure doesn't mean rich... even people with lower incomes can be financially secure if they budget and plan according to their income and cash flow.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 45 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to revive an old thread, wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this

I have a 30k purchase coming up at Tiffany's

I can afford to pay in full but it would make finances a bit tight for a month or two 

Would you guys recommend taking the offer of 0% financing for 12 months from Tiffany's or paying in full and getting 30000 MR points from using my Amex? Thanks! 

Message 46 of 49
keithB
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:
I would not finance an engagement ring.

+1, don't care if this thread is old or not Smiley Tongue

Message 47 of 49
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

deleted, old thread..

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 48 of 49
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to revive an old thread, wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this

I have a 30k purchase coming up at Tiffany's

I can afford to pay in full but it would make finances a bit tight for a month or two 

Would you guys recommend taking the offer of 0% financing for 12 months from Tiffany's or paying in full and getting 30000 MR points from using my Amex? Thanks! 

Don't recall if Tiffany's reports to the CRAs, for some reason I believe they don't.    Regardless though It's free money for a year, and given how much money is involved it might allow you to recoup a portion back via investments during the year. 

Not sure it would compare to AMEX MR points ~ you'd need to come up with an equivalent cash value and decide from there.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.