Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying gift cards on a credit card

tag
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

Buying gift cards on a credit card

From the information that I've been reading on these forums, I gather that it is unacceptable to buy gift cards on a credit card.  Is this true?  I would like to know before I go Christmas shopping.  Thanks!

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Buying gift cards on a credit card

@mrsjr wrote:

From the information that I've been reading on these forums, I gather that it is unacceptable to buy gift cards on a credit card.  Is this true?  I would like to know before I go Christmas shopping.  Thanks!

store gift cards you probably can, VGC or MGC is another story. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 12
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mrsjr wrote:

How about paypal reload card?

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 3 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mrsjr wrote:

And volume matters too.

Starting in Jan, Wells Fargo says it won't give rewards even on store gift cards, although that is unenforceble in most cases

Message 4 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mrsjr wrote:

How about paypal reload card?

paypal reload card i would think would fall in the vgc mgc category since you can convert it to cash ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

A lot of stores won't let you do it now because of all the fraud situations. As usual it gets ruined for everyone because of scammers. Plus as someone pointed out issuers are catching onto it and may not give you rewards anyway so there's no incentive to use credit.
Message 6 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mrsjr wrote:

And volume matters too.

Starting in Jan, Wells Fargo says it won't give rewards even on store gift cards, although that is unenforceble in most cases

+1

If you are buying gift cards for gifts, don't let the manufactured spenders Grinch your holiday. If the store sells it to you, go for it.

The MSers are running literally thousands of dollars of gift/cash cards through their credit cards, trying to tweak ways to turn them into cash for a sliver of benefits.

For your few gift cards, no CCC is even going to notice. You will pay fees to get the gift cards, and they are fine with that.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Very true. It's the people who do it to extreme cause problems. Buying them as actual gifts I reasonable amounts should be fine. The problem is people who buy 5k of them regularly.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mrsjr wrote:

And volume matters too.

+1. Nothing wrong with buying gift cards with credit cards. Now if your spend on a card goes from 2k a month to 20k a month and its all on gift cards you are likely going to catch your CC issuers attention. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I do it all the time now on my Discover. 

As an example, they are offering 5% back at departments stores. So what I do is purposely buy a Shell gas gift card for $25-30, maybe some food gift cards, voila! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.