Valued Member

Bye Bye Credit One

Well after being approved for the Discover IT last week, I decided I was more credit worthy than a "Credit One Card".

Called them up today to pay off the small balance I had on it and told them to close it.  They tried waiving the annual fee and even lowering the interest but I stayed strong and had them close it.  It was a great feeling.  The card served it's purpose well but I am so happy to be done with it.  

Now I just have to close my First Premier Credit Card this month and I will be a happy person.  

Thanks again to everyone on these forums for the information to help me get from a Credit One card  to a Discover Card over time.  

Starting score: 513 (Pulled from MyFico)
Current Score: Equifax 662 (Pull Feb 12 from MyFico)
Transunion 670 (Walmart Fico)
Established Contributor

Re: Bye Bye Credit One

Congrats!

I also got Discover just recently also, but I started off with Capital One. I'll probably close Capital One before the annual fee hits and apply for Amex PRG.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! I have just started rebuilding I have a secured merrick card and an unsecured cap1 with a 300 limit. But before I did my research I applied to credit one and got approved for a 300cl . I have not gotten the card yet so the account is not active but I am having second thoughts about it. Is it worth all the fees and crazy % or should I just not activate it?

Valued Member

To me, yes it was worth it.  I had a 500 something credit score (very low 500s) and no one else would approve me.  

The card served it's purpose very well.

Had I known the information I know now, I would of got a secured card instead.

Starting score: 513 (Pulled from MyFico)
Current Score: Equifax 662 (Pull Feb 12 from MyFico)
Transunion 670 (Walmart Fico)
Established Contributor

Follow behind Credit One and verify (then print the proof) that they closed the account and that its paid in full.  I have heard that they like to sometimes be sneaky and keep it open so they can nab another AF. 

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Established Contributor

Personally if they offered to waive the AF I'd have accepted that and sockdrawed it for another year. But if you wanted to close there's nothing wrong with that.

Senior Contributor

Yeah! It did its job but..........but........its time to move on:smileyfrustrated: LOL EXCELLENT!!

Established Contributor

KingAdrock wrote:

Personally if they offered to waive the AF I'd have accepted that and sockdrawed it for another year. But if you wanted to close there's nothing wrong with that.

The problem is that some lenders have a problem with borrowers having accounts from Credit One, First Premier, etc.  It's best to get those cards out of your life ASAP.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.