Valued Member
burntreality

Bye Bye Credit One

Well after being approved for the Discover IT last week, I decided I was more credit worthy than a "Credit One Card".

Called them up today to pay off the small balance I had on it and told them to close it.  They tried waiving the annual fee and even lowering the interest but I stayed strong and had them close it.  It was a great feeling.  The card served it's purpose well but I am so happy to be done with it.  

Now I just have to close my First Premier Credit Card this month and I will be a happy person.  

Thanks again to everyone on these forums for the information to help me get from a Credit One card  to a Discover Card over time.  

Starting score: 513 (Pulled from MyFico)
Current Score: Equifax 662 (Pull Feb 12 from MyFico)
Transunion 670 (Walmart Fico)
Established Contributor
eviLution

Re: Bye Bye Credit One

Congrats!

I also got Discover just recently also, but I started off with Capital One. I'll probably close Capital One before the annual fee hits and apply for Amex PRG.

Current Score: DCU EQ 714 - EX+ 746 - WM TU 746
Goal Score: 750+

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 6000 - Chase Freedom: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Frequent Contributor
twall06

Congrats! I have just started rebuilding I have a secured merrick card and an unsecured cap1 with a 300 limit. But before I did my research I applied to credit one and got approved for a 300cl . I have not gotten the card yet so the account is not active but I am having second thoughts about it. Is it worth all the fees and crazy % or should I just not activate it?

Valued Member
burntreality

To me, yes it was worth it.  I had a 500 something credit score (very low 500s) and no one else would approve me.  

The card served it's purpose very well.

Had I known the information I know now, I would of got a secured card instead.

Starting score: 513 (Pulled from MyFico)
Current Score: Equifax 662 (Pull Feb 12 from MyFico)
Transunion 670 (Walmart Fico)
Established Contributor
Pilotdude

Follow behind Credit One and verify (then print the proof) that they closed the account and that its paid in full.  I have heard that they like to sometimes be sneaky and keep it open so they can nab another AF. 

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Established Contributor
KingAdrock

Personally if they offered to waive the AF I'd have accepted that and sockdrawed it for another year. But if you wanted to close there's nothing wrong with that.

Senior Contributor
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest

Yeah! It did its job but..........but........its time to move on:smileyfrustrated: LOL EXCELLENT!!

Established Contributor
lithium78

KingAdrock wrote:

Personally if they offered to waive the AF I'd have accepted that and sockdrawed it for another year. But if you wanted to close there's nothing wrong with that.

The problem is that some lenders have a problem with borrowers having accounts from Credit One, First Premier, etc.  It's best to get those cards out of your life ASAP.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}