Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye HouseHold Bank!!

tag
msheresy
Regular Contributor

Bye Bye HouseHold Bank!!

So I HAD a Household Bank card with a $500 cl and a $59 af.  I knew that the af was going to post yesterday so today I called.  I figured that they wouldnt waive the fee but I tried anyway.  I was tranferred to an account manager and at first he was really polite offered to reduce it by half at which time I told him that it was my lowest cl and my only accout with an AF and that I didnt need it.  He still insisted, politely to just give it time and maybe in the near future I would get an auto cli....blah blah blah.  He asked to put me on hold to make sure that he could offer to split the af in half so I reluctantly said "ok" but I said he really was wasting his time because I was pretty set on closing it.  He came back, confirmed that offer but I said that it would be the same thing next year and that I didnt need to be throwing away $59.  

It took another 3 minutes to finally get through his thick skull that I was closing it.  He all of a sudden seemed very angry and practically yelled "Fine!  It's Closed! BYE!" and then he hung up. 

I logged into the account and paid my balance less the af.  Nothing online indicated that the account was closed.  After the payment posts, should I call back and make sure that the af balance is removed and that the account is in fact closed?  I have actually never closed a cc before.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bye Bye HouseHold Bank!!

@msheresy wrote:

practically yelled "Fine!  It's Closed! BYE!" and then he hung up. 

should I call back and make sure that the af balance is removed and that the account is in fact closed? 

Absolutely call back to make sure the acct is closed by you the consumer with a 0 balance. Leave nothing to chance when dealing with them..

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely call back to make sure the acct is closed by you the consumer with a 0 balance. Leave nothing to chance when dealing with them..

Household Bank closed my MC last month due to 9-months of inactivity,  My EX report says "Closed by Consumer" ,,, It only had a 4-k CL anyways,

I haven't looked at TU or EQto see how they're reporting it,

should I call back and make sure that the af balance is removed and that the account is in fact closed?

You should be able to log onto your account and see if it says closed, I can still log into my old account and it says,

CURRENT STATUS

Error  Your Account is Closed 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@msheresy wrote:

So I HAD a Household Bank card with a $500 cl and a $59 af.  I knew that the af was going to post yesterday so today I called.  I figured that they wouldnt waive the fee but I tried anyway.  I was tranferred to an account manager and at first he was really polite offered to reduce it by half at which time I told him that it was my lowest cl and my only accout with an AF and that I didnt need it.  He still insisted, politely to just give it time and maybe in the near future I would get an auto cli....blah blah blah.  He asked to put me on hold to make sure that he could offer to split the af in half so I reluctantly said "ok" but I said he really was wasting his time because I was pretty set on closing it.  He came back, confirmed that offer but I said that it would be the same thing next year and that I didnt need to be throwing away $59.  

It took another 3 minutes to finally get through his thick skull that I was closing it.  He all of a sudden seemed very angry and practically yelled "Fine!  It's Closed! BYE!" and then he hung up. 

I logged into the account and paid my balance less the af.  Nothing online indicated that the account was closed.  After the payment posts, should I call back and make sure that the af balance is removed and that the account is in fact closed?  I have actually never closed a cc before.

That's just like HSBC/Household Bank "NO CLASS" You did the right thingSmiley Wink I'm proud of you.

King

Message 4 of 7
msheresy
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@msheresy wrote:

That's just like HSBC/Household Bank "NO CLASS" You did the right thingSmiley Wink I'm proud of you.

King

Thanks!!

Just logged back in and nothing has changed.  I will be calling once my payment posts and I hope I dont have to deal with another jackass like that guy!!! Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@msheresy wrote:

Thanks!!

Just logged back in and nothing has changed.  I will be calling once my payment posts and I hope I dont have to deal with another jackass like that guy!!! Smiley Mad

Yes please do as companies like these like to play games, state they closed an account only to find out they didn't close it so they could continue to collect fee's. Stay on top of it.Smiley Wink

King

Message Edited by 74king on 06-03-2009 10:25 PM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed a BestBuy account by Household Bank on Monday, When I log in now, 2 days later,  it says "Your Account is Closed".
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.