Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye PayPal Smart Connect!

tag
cp94550
Regular Contributor

Bye PayPal Smart Connect!

I've been considering closing some accounts down and took the first step today with closing my Smart Connect account.  I opened the account in August of 2013 with a $330 CL.  Fast forward a year and a half and they dropped the CL to $170.  Been trying for a CLI through the automated system but no luck.  Paid off my oustanding balance of $1.48 last week and today I said the heck with it and called in and requested a $10,000 CLI Smiley LOL.  When that came back as denied I said I wanted to cancel the account. Cancellation was done fully through an automated system.  You just say you want to cancel, she asks if you are sure, I said yes and then she said "your account is now closed."  

Bye Smart Connect!  Now to close down two secured cards and garden for a bit.

Starting Score: EX: 560 on 11/1/11
Current Score: EX: 651 on 1/31/16
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bye PayPal Smart Connect!

Congrats on closing the account! Why did they drop your limit in the first place?

Message 2 of 7
cp94550
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on closing the account! Why did they drop your limit in the first place?

Honestly have no clue.  I had been using the card and making payments/PIF depending on the month.  Was not over limit, late, etc at the time of drop.  Smiley Indifferent

Starting Score: EX: 560 on 11/1/11
Current Score: EX: 651 on 1/31/16
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you!  If a card doesn't serve your purpose, close it and move on.  Congrats!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed Sam's Club, Kohl's, Walmart, Lowe's, TJ Maxx, and Zales. Tried to close Amazon but it gave me an error message. I do have a Paypal account but I don't think I've ever had an increase, and the interest and fees on it are nuts. It has a zero balance. Not sure if I will axe it, but it's a possibility, since I have Paypal Credit which doesn't show up on my reports/utilization and has three times the limit of Paypal Smart Connect.

I don't want to take time tracking all of these store cards anymore. I don't have the energy for it. I am only using cards that have rewards of some kind. Target still gives 5% off with the Red Card and Red Debit card of which I have both (only use debit now tho) so I kept my Target cards. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job! It always makes me smile when a card holder just closes the card and moves on rather than getting upset at less-than-stellar treatment by a bank.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exact same scenario for me. No rewards, no cash back. No CLI.  Forget PPSC. I closed it today. See ya! I still have the old PP Bill Me Later account/not sure what it is called now. That doesn't even report balance to CR. So Paypal can literally take a flying leap. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.