Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye bye Buy Power

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bye bye Buy Power

Back last June i received a mailer stating pre approval. Like many, I liked the idea of obtaining a World Elite MasterCard. But unfortunately like many, it came with a ridiculously low starting limit of $300. Being a trooper and since I had wasted a HP, I used it and paid it frequently to keep uti low. I thought possibly I would receive some auto cli luv, but no. Since getting this card my scores have improved enough that I have increased my available credit quite a bit. Enough so that closing a $300 card would not adversely affect my utilization. I called Cap 1 this morning and asked if I could possibly obtain a cli increase via soft pull. The friendly front line rep stated that she would have to transfer me to credit to inquire with them. The lady explained it was an automated process and that it would likely require a HP. I figured at this point, if I could get the HP done on my TU report which sits at 757, I could maybe stand a chance of getting the CLI. I asked her which CRA they pull from. She stated it was random. While my EQ and EX scores are good, they aren't 757 good as is the TU. I decided it wasn't worth it and asked to just close the account. Had to be transferred back to the other department and was disconnected in the process. Called back and asked for my card to be closed. Got the standard song and dance, and asking if I wanted to speak with someone else. I stated that I did not, that I had already been through that and got disconnected. The rep was nice, stated she would process my request today and I will receive a letter in the mail within 7-10 days showing it has been cancelled at my request and the balance is $0.

I really wanted to keep the card because of the WEMC classification, but it just makes no sense at that credit limit. It's just not even usable.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Bye bye Buy Power

OP:  did you ask the Cap1 rep(s) about the option of having the low-limit BuyPower WEMC enrolled or auto-enrolled in the Cap1 credit steps program?  If it is eligible, my understanding is that you could potentially be eligible for an automatic, SP CLI in as little as 5 months, as long as you maintained on-time payments?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

OP:  did you ask the Cap1 rep(s) about the option of having the low-limit BuyPower WEMC enrolled or auto-enrolled in the Cap1 credit steps program?  If it is eligible, my understanding is that you could potentially be eligible for an automatic, SP CLI in as little as 5 months, as long as you maintained on-time payments?

I did not as I was unaware that was possible.  I know that card is very different from the standard Cap 1 cards. I assumed credit steps wouldnt apply and the credit analyst never mentioned it as an option. I'm not really disappointed in not doing that etc. I really see no long term need for the card.

Message 3 of 5
Windowguy
Valued Member

I had the same card got it back in August 2015 SL $500. Waited 6 months ask for a SLI and I was told NO. I hit the love button anyway and was still denied. How when Chase just gave me 2 cards $4500 plus SL. Called and cancelled card last week check credit today through myfico and I lost 1 point. Oh Well 

Message 4 of 5
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Seems I got lucky and i got a $2,000 limit 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.