Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye-bye, First Premier

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Bye-bye, First Premier

Well, today was the day -- I cancelled my remaining First Premier card. The (hefty!) AF was coming due this month and this was a card that by no means needed to remain in my wallet -- or sock drawer, for that matter. My credit rating has improved significantly over the past year and I've been working towards moving away from subprime cards. IMO, FP is the subprime of the subprimes, so being in a position to close that card has been an important milestone for me.

I actually had two FP cards; I cancelled the other one earlier this year. The CSR that I spoke with back then gave me a very hard time about cancelling. So, when I was on the phone with the CSR today, I was braced for a fight. Unfortunately, I hate to admit that my mood got the better of me. I started out politely, but when the CSR started telling me about what a bad move it was to close the card, and how my scores wouldn't improve if I closed it, I lost it. I raised my voice as I told her to "close this account!" She then wanted to know why I was getting upset, and I told her that I didn't want to have to have to spend 20 minutes trying to close an account. She still kept trying to explain to me why closing it was not in my best interest, and I meant to hit the button on my phone to put her on speaker, so that my DH could hear what was going on, but I hit the call end button by mistake. I called back, and the next CSR that I spoke with saw that the account had, indeed, been closed by the previous CSR. At least that's done and over with.

I was looking forward to celebrating this milestone, but I'm really unhappy with myself for losing my composure. I realize that the lady was doing her job, and CSRs don't have any easy time dealing with the public. I know this. And I feel that I behaved badly. I wish that I could go back and redo that conversation, but that is impossible, of course.

So, bye-bye, First Premier. Time to move on...

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bye-bye, First Premier

Congrats! I got rid of mine about a year ago! It's a great feeling to get rid of those subprime cards isn't?
The funny thing is i get letters from FP every few months saying "gp82402 we want you back!" lol yeah I'm sure you do FP!!!
Message 2 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats! I got rid of mine about a year ago! It's a great feeling to get rid of those subprime cards isn't?
The funny thing is i get letters from FP every few months saying "gp82402 we want you back!" lol yeah I'm sure you do FP!!!

Absolutely! And it feels great -- a whole different mindset, really -- to be looking at cards that I WANT to get, rather than just settling for cards that I CAN get. For the first time in a very long time, I truly believe that I'll be able to get there. Smiley Happy

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 20
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Because of you, I also closed my First Premier account. Tomorrow Credit One will be closed as well.

Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations are in order!!!

Message 5 of 20
laz98
Senior Contributor

sorry to hear of your bad encounter, although at least you are free of first premier now Smiley Happy  i simply emailed them & told them to close the account.

Message 6 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Believe1970 wrote:

Congrats! Because of you, I also closed my First Premier account. Tomorrow Credit One will be closed as well.

The credit belongs to you. I may have inspired you, as so many here have helped to inspire me, but you are ultimately the one who worked to get yourself into a position to be able to close these cards. Good for you!!! Congrats to you, too!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 20
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Congrats. Kick that junk to the curb and don't look back.

Message 8 of 20
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Congrats on moving on from subprime CC's. I am about 7 months into my first subprime card (Capital One Platinum MC). While I'm thrilled they gave me a chance to rebuild my credit, I dream of the day when I can get approved for a "real" credit. Thanks for inspiring hope in me.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 9 of 20
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hey there!  I too have felt bad in the past after hanging up.  I definitely lose my cool when it comes to this crap. 

I called to close FP about 2 weeks ago and I was transferred to a 2nd CSR to actually close it. This guy went back and forth w/ me about the merits of an open card.  He even told me to go to this website!  When i told him this website recommended I close this card, he said "First Premier is willing to offer you $45.00 to keep the card open."  So I kept it open.....until I closed it after I spent that money for school clothes.

I think the computer must have told him to make that offer bc the reason I stated for closing was the monthly fees.

Anyway - that's not the point.  The point is FP IS the subprime of the subprimes.  Congrats!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.