Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye bye PRG

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Bye bye PRG

Finally called and cancelled my AMEX PRG. Wasn't using it at all since I got the BOA 123 Privileges which has become my go to card.

At least $175 AF I won't be paying. First card that I cancelled in 3 years. At least I won't lose the age on it, it is my oldest card.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: Bye bye PRG

@CS800 wrote:

Finally called and cancelled my AMEX PRG. Wasn't using it at all since I got the BOA 123 Privileges which has become my go to card.

At least $175 AF I won't be paying. First card that I cancelled in 3 years. At least I won't lose the age on it, it is my oldest card.

I'm getting rid of mine next year.  The annual fee is ridiculous. 

How did you qualify for the privileges card?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 2 of 16
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I have to say, American Express makes it very easy to close accounts. Other issuers will try to keep you by offering something or telling you about special offers that may be coming, but they just cancel it right away as you requested. The telephone call lasted less than one minute.

Message 3 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I have to say, American Express makes it very easy to close accounts. Other issuers will try to keep you by offering something or telling you about special offers that may be coming, but they just cancel it right away as you requested. The telephone call lasted less than one minute.

I've closed Chase, Barclays and Citi cards by email, with no hassle.  In the Citi case, I had actually wanted a negotiation, so I learned that email wasn't the way!

Message 4 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I was about 2 minutes total time to closure, no hassle, no question asked

Message 5 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Same as you would qualify for any BOA card but the privileges has an AF of $75. The Privileges has no FOREX fees

They offerred me the privileges with no AF and a very nice CL

Message 6 of 16
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Same as you would qualify for any BOA card but the privileges has an AF of $75. The Privileges has no FOREX fees

They offerred me the privileges with no AF and a very nice CL

I'm signing up for it now through chat. Thanks for posting this. I converted to the travel rewards from the original cash rewards, but I don't use it.

Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Message 7 of 16
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Canceling AMEX Charge Cards don't affect AAOA right? I originally apped for the AMEX Green to see where I stand with them. Instant approval, ran 5 G's for a down payment to a car and PIF. Just wanted to get my foot in with them and get either a BCP or BCE, then cancel the Green. Can anything bad happen from canceling a charge card?

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What is the attraction of this card?  The 50% bonus vs 10% for normal?   Doesn't seem to make sense unless you get the fee waived?

So, maxing out the 3% category, $6K spend a year so $180 in rewards.   You get 40% extra of that, =  $72, and the AF is $75  ANd that is best case since they have this combined $1,500 calculation.

(And yes, you get more on the 1% spend, but you can get 1.5% or 2% on all spend with Cap One/Fidelity, so I don't count that!)

What am I missing?  Or is this a different card?

Message 9 of 16
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

What is the attraction of this card?  The 50% bonus vs 10% for normal?   Doesn't seem to make sense unless you get the fee waived?

So, maxing out the 3% category, $6K spend a year so $180 in rewards.   You get 40% extra of that, =  $72, and the AF is $75  ANd that is best case since they have this combined $1,500 calculation.

(And yes, you get more on the 1% spend, but you can get 1.5% or 2% on all spend with Cap One/Fidelity, so I don't count that!)

What am I missing?  Or is this a different card?

I opened BofA cards when I was first starting out in the credit game.  This card is an older account for me.  I would like to get more perks, if I can get them without an annual fee.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.