Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C'mon Citi, really?!

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

C'mon Citi, really?!

I posted about a few weeks ago about a failed attempt to recon with Citi over a denied Simplicity card. (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Citi-recon-fail-does-this-sound-right/td-p/...

Yesterday in the mail, I received a targeted offer.  Just now, I checked the pre-qual site, and there it is again.

Are they kidding me?  It's literally just over 30 days, so it would require another HP.

Nothing has changed since my original denial, except maybe 4 points. But none of the derogatories they claimed I had (and would not elaborate on).  Not a thing.

Argh...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DeadlyPersona
Frequent Contributor

Re: C'mon Citi, really?!

I want to get in with Citi only because I would like to app for a Best Buy card this holiday season and then Home Depot in about 6 months.  What credit report did they pull on you?  

Message 2 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@skigirl916 wrote:

I posted about a few weeks ago about a failed attempt to recon with Citi over a denied Simplicity card. (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Citi-recon-fail-does-this-sound-right/td-p/...

Yesterday in the mail, I received a targeted offer.  Just now, I checked the pre-qual site, and there it is again.

Are they kidding me?  It's literally just over 30 days, so it would require another HP.

Nothing has changed since my original denial, except maybe 4 points. But none of the derogatories they claimed I had (and would not elaborate on).  Not a thing.

Argh...

Citi doesn't even know if they like themselves most of the time, let alone potential customers. 

Yeah I'd be pretty hot over that too.  It's crazy.

Message 3 of 9
Berk
Established Contributor

@DeadlyPersona wrote:

I want to get in with Citi only because I would like to app for a Best Buy card this holiday season and then Home Depot in about 6 months.  What credit report did they pull on you?  

I apped for both store cards - Best Buy and Home Depot - and got both before I got a Citi TY.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeadlyPersona wrote:

I applied for a Best Buy card a couple months ago in Southern California and the pulled Experian. I was declined.

Message 5 of 9
DeadlyPersona
Frequent Contributor

I think I'm going to try and app for the Best Buy card in store....I think I'll have a better chance at being approved if I'm trying to purchase something.

The same with the Home Depot card in 6 months, I'll app in store while making a purchase.

Message 6 of 9
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@DeadlyPersona wrote:

.I App for a Freedom card in July and was denied due to baddies. 15 mins I app for Best Buy card and was approved instantly

for store card for $2,000 Limit. I would go ahead and app for best buy card now.

Message 7 of 9
Involver
Valued Contributor

Reminds me of when I cold apped for the FNBO AMEX (declined) then got a preapproval the next week in the mail, lol. So frustrating.
Message 8 of 9
Desmoire
Regular Contributor

@DeadlyPersona wrote:

I think I'm going to try and app for the Best Buy card in store....I think I'll have a better chance at being approved if I'm trying to purchase something.

The same with the Home Depot card in 6 months, I'll app in store while making a purchase.

I applied in store for best buy with a 658 exp score and was approved for 2300. I told the representative I wanted to purchase a 65in 4k TV that was priced at 2799. I noticed he looked back at the price tag of the TV while entering the application. Afterwards I asked him, and he said in their application system in store it asks what the price of the item the customer is interested in buying, and the system configures the intial CL based on that.

In short I think your statement is true, your chances are much better of getting approved in store because they want you to buy an expensive item from them. If you apply online the system doesn't know if you are making a purchase or not.

myFICO Scores EQ 778 TU 783 EX 772 | Mortgage 106774.00 | Auto Loan 15251.00 | AMEX BCE 0/25500 | Lowes 0/6300 | Barclay Rewards 0/5000 | NASA FCU 0/5000 | FNBO 0/4400 | Amazon 0/4000 | FNBO Employee 283/2900 | NFM 0/2600 | Chase Freedom 0/2500 | Best Buy 0/2300 | Cap One 0/2250 | FNBO 0/1100 | NASA FCU Rewards 0/1000 | Quicksilver 0/750 | Younkers 0/500 TOTAL: 283/74,450 0.003% UTIL
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.