Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

I agree pattycake. 

I don't post often because many of the threads now seem to be a debate of sorts.  It is OK for people to post their opinions.  We can agree to disagree, as reasonable people do.   I do not think it is OK to bash a member over the head if they do not agree with your assessment or opinion.  I have seen too many argumentative posts (examples:  re-read my reply above, all in italics in an attempt to get the message across, generalizing one's own experience to the entire world, etc).

Way too much snarkiness going on here.  Hopefully, things will change....we will have to see.

That said, I still read these boards every day.  Right after I check my e-mail.  Guess you could say I am addicted.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 63
DI
Super Contributor

I haven't noticed any snarkiness on the boards. But, maybe I just don't read into things too much.   I come here for three reasons:  Learn, Educate and Entertain.  I also keep in mind that people are entitled to how they word their questions, opinions and statements.  At the end of the day, the board is still just a board that houses questions, statements and opinions.  It doesn't live, eat, or sleep with me.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 63
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Gosh, what have I been missing?! Smiley Sad I haven't been on in a few weeks because of just general craziness in my life, and I'm sad to see this. I come on these forums to get genuine, supportive advice culled from everyone's experiences. I steer clear of other financial forums because of THEIR snarkiness, and hate the idea of these going in that direction. However, I have full faith that everything will swing back up...too many great people on here for that to not happen. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 63
marty56
Super Contributor

@DI wrote:

I haven't noticed any snarkiness on the boards. But, maybe I just don't read into things too much.   I come here for three reasons:  Learn, Educate and Entertain.  I also keep in mind that people are entitled to how they word their questions, opinions and statements.  At the end of the day, the board is still just a board that houses questions, statements and opinions.  It doesn't live, eat, or sleep with me.  Smiley Very Happy

+1

On the entertain part, you gotta admit that its fun to watch a thread go south once in awhile.  How many people here have watched say a Jerry Springer type show or listened to Howard Stern or glanced at those scandal magazines while waiting at the checkout.  Come on, be honest.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 14 of 63
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

I agree with much of what has been said. In general, I think people take themselves way too seriously.
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 15 of 63
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

That's called ego btw.
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 16 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with snarkiness is that it discourages people from posting.  And if you combine snarkiness with a high level of posting it can dramatically affect the tone of the entire forum.  I appreciate the mods replying with a reminder to be friendly and even removing snarky posts – which is the most perfect reminder that they’re not appropriate. 

Kudos to the mods and the many exceptional posters – you really help the boards do what they do best – provide a pleasant learning and sharing experience. 

And I totally love that word – snarky.  Snide and sarcastic all rolled into one nifty package.  Love the word – love the forums – hate it when they’re walking hand-in-hand.  Thanks for the great post, pattycake.

Edited:  kant spel

Message Edited by beamMEup on 10-11-2009 07:37 PM
Message 17 of 63
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

One reason why I stopped looking at the posts in FatWallet's Finance forum is due to the high level of snarkiniess by their members.  I've started to notice it here.
TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 18 of 63
pattycake
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem with snarkiness is that it discourages people from posting.  And if you combine snarkiness with a high level of posting it can dramatically affect the tone of the entire forum.  I appreciate the mods replying with a reminder to be friendly and even removing snarky posts – which is the most perfect reminder that they’re not appropriate. 

Kudos to the mods and the many exceptional posters – you really help the boards do what they do best – provide a pleasant learning and sharing experience. 

And I totally love that work – snarky.  Snide and sarcastic all rolled into one nifty package.  Love the word – love the forums – hate it when they’re walking hand-in-hand.  Thanks for the great post, pattycake.

Bingo - that is my point, exactly.  I want to hear from a lot of different people about their experiences.  This is one of my favorite and helpful financial forums around.  There is a forum on another site that I rarely post on because so many of the regulars are just rude and judgmental.  I understand that anonymity is the case, but I really would not rather deal with the meanness, it just creates a bad vibe. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 19 of 63
DI
Super Contributor

Pattycake I am always here, and I hope to answer any questions you have with a smile.  Smiley Very Happy
Message 20 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.