Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN YOU SUGGEST CARD(S) TO APP FOR??

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

CAN YOU SUGGEST CARD(S) TO APP FOR??

In light of Timothy's (and all the others) who are experiencing Amex CLDs, I'm trying to get myself prepared for the same thing to happen to me.  And I really feel sad about the whole CLD saga as I was so thrilled to get an Amex. 

Unfortunately, right now, Amex is about 40% of my available credit..I have my largest total CLs with them.  I have total of $10,600 between a Blue and Delta (w/a $2000 BT on the Blue and $200 on the Delta, and have Green with $2200 (called them for test limit).

I just got these cards in April, along with Discover More, which has $2000 CL. I love the rewards points and they accumulated really quickly.

I realize more apping may be the straw that broke the camel's back with Amex, as from what I read about the CLDs they dont like new accounts, new inqs etc, but figure I need to hedge my bet and try to get some more TLs in place before my Amex CLs are lowered.  As someone posted on here before, the time to get new credit is when you don't need it.

Just looking for suggestions.  Real FICOs are TU690  EQ692  EX715(took a little hit with these for new accts).  Have a PR on record (1998 PAID 2004 tax lien), no recent baddies, nothing late since 03.  Current overall utilization  is about 17% but will be lower after the 15th (bill paying day).  I have 2 inqs on EX, 3 on TU and 4 on EQ, all from April.

Citi, Juniper and Chase denied me back in April, but dont know if now having the Amex and Discover would make me look better or worse.  Applied for them all at the same time (figured I hadnt apped for a card in 10+ years so I'd go for it all at once so they'd age together and the inqs would all be at the same time.  The PR was cited for declination, as well as high utilization (had low limits Orchard cards )  DH got Citi in May and I'm AU on it, as well as being AU on his new BoA.

Could I try a maybe a Discover Motiva?  Will they allow 2 cards?  I only have a $2K CL on my More.
What about BoA??

Any suggestions for cards I would be the most likely to get with decent CLs is appreciated.  I want to be proactive on this, having read all the horror stories of the snowball effect of CLDs.

I'd be grateful if someone would chime in with any advice, ideas, thoughts or  experiences!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
dilligaf_racing
New Contributor

Re: CAN YOU SUGGEST CARD(S) TO APP FOR??

@rom828 wrote:
In light of Timothy's (and all the others) who are experiencing Amex CLDs, I'm trying to get myself prepared for the same thing to happen to me.  And I really feel sad about the whole CLD saga as I was so thrilled to get an Amex. 

Unfortunately, right now, Amex is about 40% of my available credit..I have my largest total CLs with them.  I have total of $10,600 between a Blue and Delta (w/a $2000 BT on the Blue and $200 on the Delta, and have Green with $2200 (called them for test limit).

I just got these cards in April, along with Discover More, which has $2000 CL. I love the rewards points and they accumulated really quickly.

I realize more apping may be the straw that broke the camel's back with Amex, as from what I read about the CLDs they dont like new accounts, new inqs etc, but figure I need to hedge my bet and try to get some more TLs in place before my Amex CLs are lowered.  As someone posted on here before, the time to get new credit is when you don't need it.

Just looking for suggestions.  Real FICOs are TU690  EQ692  EX715(took a little hit with these for new accts).  Have a PR on record (1998 PAID 2004 tax lien), no recent baddies, nothing late since 03.  Current overall utilization  is about 17% but will be lower after the 15th (bill paying day).  I have 2 inqs on EX, 3 on TU and 4 on EQ, all from April.

Citi, Juniper and Chase denied me back in April, but dont know if now having the Amex and Discover would make me look better or worse.  Applied for them all at the same time (figured I hadnt apped for a card in 10+ years so I'd go for it all at once so they'd age together and the inqs would all be at the same time.  The PR was cited for declination, as well as high utilization (had low limits Orchard cards )  DH got Citi in May and I'm AU on it, as well as being AU on his new BoA.

Could I try a maybe a Discover Motiva?  Will they allow 2 cards?  I only have a $2K CL on my More.
What about BoA??

Any suggestions for cards I would be the most likely to get with decent CLs is appreciated.  I want to be proactive on this, having read all the horror stories of the snowball effect of CLDs.

I'd be grateful if someone would chime in with any advice, ideas, thoughts or  experiences!!

Any chance you are a USAA member? If so, they have some good cards.
Fico's TU 613, EQ591, EX615
10-3-08
Message 2 of 16
rom828
Established Contributor

I wish I were!  My daughter and son-in-love are (he's in Army, 3rd ID serving in Iraq) and they do all their banking ( cards, checking, etc) with them. 

Thanks for the suggestion, though!  Any other thoughts??

Message 3 of 16
dilligaf_racing
New Contributor

I wonder if you can become a USAA member if your Daughter is. I would really check into that. I am a member because my Father is. He was in the military. If im not mistaken, any family member can get another family member in.
Fico's TU 613, EQ591, EX615
10-3-08
Message 4 of 16
wmarat
Valued Contributor

1. Penfed Visa Rewards Platinum
2. BOA
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 5 of 16
rom828
Established Contributor

dilli, I'll check into that...I was under the impression an in-law of the military memember wasn't close enough family.  Boy, that would be great!

And thanks, too, wm, I'll look into both of those, though isn't penfed really picky??

Message 6 of 16
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Indeed, Penfed is picky, but IME they provide the best CS and the best cashback credit card.
If your scores are in high 600's and you do not have new accounts, you probably have a good chance to get the card.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 7 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@rom828 wrote:
dilli, I'll check into that...I was under the impression an in-law of the military memember wasn't close enough family. Boy, that would be great!
And thanks, too, wm, I'll look into both of those, though isn't penfed really picky??

I don't know that USAA is doable at this point, but Navy FCU has broadened to include all armed forces except Coast Guard. (What is it about the poor Coast Guard? They get shot at, too.) If your son-in-law can grit his teeth (my family is Army, too) and join, and then add your daughter, I think that your daughter can then add you.

Convoluted, I know!
Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration. If you are in any of these categories, you are eligible to join:

* All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force, retirees and annuitants
* All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force—regardless of drill status—retirees and annuitants
* All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—regardless of drill status—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants
* All DoD Officer Candidate programs: Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs
* U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)
* All DoD civilian employees
* DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations
* Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

* Questions? Read our FAQs.
* Join Navy Federal now

http://www.navyfcu.org/about/membership_eligible.html
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

my grandfather is a ret. marine........and i use usaa for many things.....i think you might have a shot!
Message 9 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think it's a parent to child thing, rather than a child to parent. I love my USAA, but I don't think that I could get my mother-in-law in. Hard to tell, though; they keep changing, and it would be worth a call.
Who is Eligible?

Membership is open to:

* Children of USAA members.
* Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
* Former military personnel:
o Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
o Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated on or after 01/01/1996.
* Former USAA members who had auto or property insurance.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=become_member_eligibility

Call 1-800-531-0839
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.