Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAP ONE CLI DECLINE : (

tag
blondie_keen
New Contributor

CAP ONE CLI DECLINE : (

So I finally got around to calling up the 800-625-7866 backdoor number of capital one. I got through right away to a woman which was nice. I gave her ALL of my info (lots of questions!) and she said she had to hit a few buttons and then said I wasn't eligable for an increase at this time. She asked when the last time I asked for a cli was to which I replied never. She said I should get a letter in the mail explaining the decision...

I asked what I needed to do and she just said to continue to pay them on time and try calling again in 3 months!

Is this it or can I try again?? I've had it for around 19 months but at the beginning I accidently went over the limit twice I believe. I did pay it off right away and I've never been late with a payment.

I was SOO hoping for an increase too! : (

I currently sit at a $500 limit with $70 in charges left to pay off

MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CAP ONE CLI DECLINE : (

There's another number that ends in 9399 (or something like that) that has been good to a LOT of us!

My example:

Jan 08 -- Opened w/ 3k limit

Mar 08 -- Called for CLI, went to 3750

April 08 -- Credit Steps 500 CLI to 4250

Oct 08 -- Called for CLI, went to 5250

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 2 of 22
Equinox
New Contributor

I called the 9399 number on monday and got a relatively nice woman on the phone. She basically said my history with them was excellent and put in a CLI request on both my C1 cards. She said i would have to expect the decision in the mail and didn't tell me right then and there. I found that odd, and by the looks of it, they didn't do it since my CL's haven't changed.

How irritating.

Message 3 of 22
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

Eh, Cap1 sucks.

Had their card for about 6 or 7 years now at least.  $500 limit.

Used it a lot, always paid in full, rarely left balance but paid it off quickly as well.

It's pretty much sitting there with like a $5 charge on it every few months since it's the card I've had longest.

I received a letter once from them saying that I was eligible for an account upgrade and that I should call.  Call in, they gave me a "conservative lender" schpiel, asked for an APR reduction instead, no go, and then they offered me a rewards program instead.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iDShaDoW wrote:

Eh, Cap1 sucks.

Used it a lot, always paid in full, rarely left balance but paid it off quickly as well.

It's pretty much sitting there with like a $5 charge on it every few months since it's the card I've had longest.

I received a letter once from them saying that I was eligible for an account upgrade and that I should call.  Call in, they gave me a "conservative lender" schpiel, asked for an APR reduction instead, no go, and then they offered me a rewards program instead.

Have you tried the backdoor numbers?  I had great sucess with the 9939 number after having a similar situation as yours.

Message 5 of 22
score_building
Senior Contributor

this month i called and i received a 250 cli after 7+ years of no increases, taking me from 500 to 750.  i was shocked.  don't give up.  another member here recently went from 500 to 15k after 9 years.  their cards reportedly have tiered glass ceilings, but can, in some instances, be broken on the long haul- or so it seems at any rate.

the moral of the story:  it may take time, but it may eventually happen, at least it may not be a completely futile effort as previously thought.  of course one other option is to reapp and combine cards for a higher cl.

@iDShaDoW wrote:

Eh, Cap1 sucks.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 22
score_building
Senior Contributor

woopah, there you are Smiley Happy the leader of the formerly low limit cap1 set, LOL
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was declined even on the first try after two years. The lady on the phone says in her wonderfull accent this BS "at this time we are unable to do a CLI for you " then tells me I can apply for another card and just combine the two credit limits. As john stossle would say GIVE ME A BREAK!
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you get a new card you might get in credit steps, in a few months your new card could have twice the limit of your 2 year old card!  craziness
Message 9 of 22
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

I have read such mixed reveiws of Cap1.  My experience with them has been wonderful!  It seems to me that people who are having the hardest times are folks who have been customer for years.  Those of us who have gotten cards in the past year or so.. and the Credit Steps plan seem to be doing better with CLIs.  I have no idea why. This is my first time ever using Cap 1 at all so only know from the perspective of someone who has been having good experiences with them.

I got a Visa in March 08 I thnk.. with $500 limit... it is currently at $1800 with them just giving me a $300.00 increase last month  I have had my M/C with them for about 2 months.  I used the 9993 or whatever number it is..and got a $500 CLI after the first month.  Hopefully I will still get both of my credit steps increases.  I went over my limit last month, so I do not know. I thnk it is only because I have done well with the Visa that I even got the MC in the first place.  Who knows.

Someone suggested apping for a new card.  If the account you have is several years old, maybe a consideration depending on if you can afford the inq. and how bad you want/need extra credit.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.