Did you mean: 

CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So imo... paying $95 is not a lot to pay, in exchange for a flight ticket that usually costs me between $700-$900.

What ticket usually costs you $700-$900? Have you looked at airline mile award prices for the route(s) in question?

Not everyone is cost-averse on travel. I'll happily spend $700-900 on a domestic ticket if it puts me in the seat I want at the time I want and on the airline I want. I've spent much more on an international one for similar reasons.

Message 41 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mentioned there being better c.c. options out there. I wasn't stating that Venture is the best card by any means. My point was that Venture isn't a bad card though. If it flies me across the world for free once a year, that’s not a bad thing.

Sure, you can always do better if/when your Credit profile allows you too.

Message 42 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

We fly Korean Air for the most part. We spend 2-3 months in Thailand every winter.

“Airline mile award prices...” are you referring to redeeming flight miles for being loyal to a particular carrier (ex: Korean air sky miles)?

If not I’m unaware of this, could you explain a little further so i could research this? thanks

Message 43 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure why not? I've done the same. You can still apply that same amount to a higher costing ticket and pay the balance. 

Maybe i'm missing the point here?

Message 44 of 115
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We fly Korean Air for the most part. We spend 2-3 months in Thailand every winter.

“Airline mile award prices...” are you referring to redeeming flight miles for being loyal to a particular carrier (ex: Korean air sky miles)?

If not I’m unaware of this, could you explain a little further so i could research this? thanks

You might consider earning points in the Chase UR program and transferring them 1:1 to SkyPass.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 45 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look into that further.

I’ve wanted to get my foot in the door with Chase, but have yet to receive a pre-qual on their site.

Message 46 of 115
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm finally going to use my sign up bonus from the beginning of last year. The 50K points is paying for my round trip flight to the Dominicon Republic. This is my only card that has an AF and I don't use it enough to think it's worth paying that every year. I might roll the credit line into one of my other Cap 1 cards. I'll have two cards with them after that. Total CL will be $50K. I'd consider applying for another Venture card for the points and free year but I don't know if I'll be approved. I might be wrong about this but I keep thinking $50K is the limit.  Or it might be the limit for one card. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 47 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chi-townBrickie wrote:

"Isn't $95 a lot for a glorifed 2% cashback card?"

I have to disagree...

Venture’s AF really isn’t a big deal to me. I’ve earned that and then some in my first month of having this card. I still have 11 months to go yet. If I keep venture as my every day card i will easily earn an international flight ticket with this card every year.

So imo... paying $95 is not a lot to pay, in exchange for a flight ticket that usually costs me between $700-$900.

It always comes down to how a card suits your individual needs. It works great for me Smiley Happy

Sure, there will always be better options out there, and they will come and go. Venture is still a good card though, especially when you use it for what it was intended for (2x Reward Miles). 

No foreign transaction fees is a nice perk as well.

Simply put, $95 a year is an insane annual fee to pay for a 2% cash back card when you redeem for travel. If you want cash back, the card is 1% cash back. There is no benefit to the Venture outside of the sign up bonus. 

Any points card that transfers to miles is a better option than the Venture (i.e: AMEX Everyday Preferred, Citi ThankYou Premier, Chase Sapphire Preferred). If you can redeem points for 1.2-2.0 cents per mile, you're way ahead of the Venture. 

You'd have to spend $35,000 to get a $700 ticket on a flight with the Venture. With other $95/year cards, you're getting more perks and you don't have to spend $35,000 year to get a $700, unless you're only spending in non-bonus categories. 

Message 48 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

And that’s one of the only reasons I’m planning eventually to PCing to the venture is the sign-on bonus and generous SL they give.
Message 49 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! That is certainly something exciting to look forward to. Enjoy yourself!

I have no clue about the 50k limit, but I’m sure someone will have an answer for that soon.

Message 50 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.