Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

Personally, I think those are great reasons to be happy with CapOne. I'm very pleased with CapOne myself.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but CapOne has Cafe's in certain cities. I think you would enjoy visiting one if it's nearby.

I stopped in there today to pay my bill & have a coffee, it had a good vibe to it.

The staff was super friendly and there are bankers available if a person needs any sort of assistance.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Message 81 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally, I think those are great reasons to be happy with CapOne. I'm very pleased with CapOne myself.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but CapOne has Cafe's in certain cities. I think you would enjoy visiting one if it's nearby.

I stopped in there today to pay my bill & have a coffee, it had a good vibe to it.

The staff was super friendly and there are bankers available if a person needs any sort of assistance.

I hope they keep building these out... I have yet to visit one. How large are the buildings inside? There's one branch near me which has a huge building but is mostly empty desks inside.

Message 82 of 115
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I like Venture and QuickSilver and Capital One.

I have no problem with the AF.  I have made a thousands using my cards.

There is more to a good card than cash back percentage and annual fees.

Credit limits, 0% offers, customer service, foreign transaction fees, and more all matter to me.

Cap One treats me extremely well and has since the day I started rebuilding.

Is it the best card for everyone?  No. 

But for a lot of us it is the best card for our current profile.

For many a card like a no AF QuickSilver 1.5% cash back card might be a better option.

But for some, like me, that .5% difference is much more than the AF.

I make more than $100 each month in rewards.

Of course, none of this matters if you are paying interest.  I am not.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If a no AF or > $95 AF card matches a flat 2% or higher rewards rate, it's better than the Venture. 

If you use a Citi Double Cash and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 in cash back. 

if you use a C.O Venture and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 towards certain travel categories, minus $95 for the annual fee, so $905.

If I spend $50,000 a year on my USAA Limitless, I earn $1,250 back without limits, no AF or FTF's. 

If I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, I get UR's, primary rental car insurance,  trip cancellation/interruption insurance, bagagge insurance, and trip delay reimbursement, for the same AF. 

You say there's more to a card than good cash back and annual fees... True, but what else does the Venture offer? Nothing, in fact, way less than other $95/year cards do. 

Again, all those cards you've referenced are cards that are harder to get, either because of membership requirements or credit requirements that many people on a rebuilding patch simply can't meet.

If you qualify for a no annual fee 2% card with similar benefits, then of course its better than having a Venture.  But for the rest of us, its NOT a bad card.  Providing you have the spend to counteract the AF and actually use the benefits.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 83 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope so too.. the 2 locations in Chicago are pretty big, not empty, but spacious.
The lounge area is pretty slick, but i didn't want to take a pic with people in it.
If it's empty next time i go, i'll take one.
Message 84 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

None in the DC market yet. I’ll definitely drop by when they open a couple here.
Message 85 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope one opens up there soon for you
Message 86 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I like Venture and QuickSilver and Capital One.

I have no problem with the AF.  I have made a thousands using my cards.

There is more to a good card than cash back percentage and annual fees.

Credit limits, 0% offers, customer service, foreign transaction fees, and more all matter to me.

Cap One treats me extremely well and has since the day I started rebuilding.

Is it the best card for everyone?  No. 

But for a lot of us it is the best card for our current profile.

For many a card like a no AF QuickSilver 1.5% cash back card might be a better option.

But for some, like me, that .5% difference is much more than the AF.

I make more than $100 each month in rewards.

Of course, none of this matters if you are paying interest.  I am not.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If a no AF or > $95 AF card matches a flat 2% or higher rewards rate, it's better than the Venture. 

If you use a Citi Double Cash and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 in cash back. 

if you use a C.O Venture and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 towards certain travel categories, minus $95 for the annual fee, so $905.

If I spend $50,000 a year on my USAA Limitless, I earn $1,250 back without limits, no AF or FTF's. 

If I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, I get UR's, primary rental car insurance,  trip cancellation/interruption insurance, bagagge insurance, and trip delay reimbursement, for the same AF. 

You say there's more to a card than good cash back and annual fees... True, but what else does the Venture offer? Nothing, in fact, way less than other $95/year cards do. 

But you get 500 dollars up front from the Venture. It would take you over 5 years to make that up on the Double Cash.  Even longer when you take into the time value of money.  I would say the Venture is better.  As I cancel it after the first year.  In your scenario I would have 1500 with Venture and 1000 with the Double Cash.  Of course more likely I would have 530 dollars with the Venture and zero with the Double Cash as I would spread the 50k over 20 cards. 

Message 87 of 115
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But you get 500 dollars up front from the Venture. It would take you over 5 years to make that up on the Double Cash.  Even longer when you take into the time value of money.  I would say the Venture is better.  As I cancel it after the first year.  In your scenario I would have 1500 with Venture and 1000 with the Double Cash.  Of course more likely I would have 530 dollars with the Venture and zero with the Double Cash as I would spread the 50k over 20 cards. 

I don't think any of us are arguing that the signup bonus on the Venture may be worth pursuing.  Hell, I intend to app for it myself.

What I and many of us have been saying is that it's not good value long term.  The Venture charges a $95 AF to keep the card past the first year and only returns 2% redeemable against a narrow category of purchases.  The Citi DC earns 2% redeemable as cash and charges no fee.  That's an easy decision.

By all means get the bonus on the Venture.  But you're throwing money away if you keep the card long term.

Message 88 of 115
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm curious what the average lifespan of a card is on here. Some people will talk casually about keeping a card for 5 or 10 years for an extra 0.5% in some category, only for the bank to nerf it a few months later, or the customer cancels it the next time "wallet simplification" is in fashion.

I don't have any interest in a Venture, but it's hard to go very wrong when getting a big bonus up front.

No Cap1 cafes near me. Guess I have to settle for Cent/DL lounges. Smiley Wink

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 89 of 115
J-F168
Frequent Contributor

When you use Cap1 card at "Cap1 cafes",  you'll pay 50% less for coffee. There is one in Glendale, CA. I always pay 50% less when I buy a coffee/tea and use cap1 credit card. 

EX 716 - EQ 707 - TU 724
BK 7 D/C Dec '16.
Message 90 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.