cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPITAL ONE CUSTOMERS, HELP ME OUT SMART THEM!!!

tag
percy81
Frequent Contributor

CAPITAL ONE CUSTOMERS, HELP ME OUT SMART THEM!!!

Hello everyone, I need some pointers. I have capital one card - got the card when I was a newbie- i've been analyzing my statements after noticing every month on my credit report it ALWAYS showing 3.02 when I NEVER USE the card. I only like one card to report a balance each month...so with that I alternate between my chase and my discover because they treat me very good.

Now, I have come to notice that capital ALWAYS post my member fee of $3.00 and .02 protection plan fee on the EXACT day each month which is the statement date!!Smiley Mad I have some people tell me to have my bank force a payment through to have it prepaid, but that seems too easy...

Should I call them and ask them to switch the fee posting date from the statement closing date or just close the damn account hahaSmiley Happy

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CAPITAL ONE CUSTOMERS, HELP ME OUT SMART THEM!!!

@lisamar81 wrote:

Hello everyone, I need some pointers. I have capital one card - got the card when I was a newbie- i've been analyzing my statements after noticing every month on my credit report it ALWAYS showing 3.02 when I NEVER USE the card. I only like one card to report a balance each month...so with that I alternate between my chase and my discover because they treat me very good.

Now, I have come to notice that capital ALWAYS post my member fee of $3.00 and .02 protection plan fee on the EXACT day each month which is the statement date!!Smiley Mad I have some people tell me to have my bank force a payment through to have it prepaid, but that seems too easy...

Should I call them and ask them to switch the fee posting date from the statement closing date or just close the damn account hahaSmiley Happy

That actually is the approach which would solve your problem. Nice when the solution's easy, isn't it? Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 13
FrugalRican
Blogger

Or just have that be the card that reports the balance each month.

Keep all the others at 0.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 13
john398
Senior Contributor

Just push a payment from your bank like 10 days before statement cuts

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drop the protection plan.

Message 5 of 13
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Ask to drop the protection plan and pay your annual fee in one payment instead of spread out.

It will probably take you a couple calls and a couple statements to get it ironed out.

OR, there's the force a payment from your bank option.

Or, if you have plenty of other accounts, just close it.

I intentionally picked rebuilding cards that didn't have an annual fee because I plan to keep them longterm with minimal usage to keep them open. My husband though didn't make that choice and a couple of his cards have annual fees. So it leads to the debate of whether or not it's worth it to keep them open. I'm leaning towards no on his Capital One Platinum as it's been at $300 for a long time. Though, we're going to wait until all his accounts are at least two years old before closing that one. So, another year of paying the annual fee.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 6 of 13
percy81
Frequent Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Or just have that be the card that reports the balance each month.

Keep all the others at 0.

Yes, but that would let them win!! I want chase or discover to postSmiley Wink

Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 7 of 13
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@lisamar81 wrote:

Why are you paying a monthly fee on a card you don't use.    The smart move would be to close it.

Message 8 of 13
percy81
Frequent Contributor

@JenniferinFL wrote:

Ask to drop the protection plan and pay your annual fee in one payment instead of spread out.

It will probably take you a couple calls and a couple statements to get it ironed out.

OR, there's the force a payment from your bank option.

Or, if you have plenty of other accounts, just close it.

I intentionally picked rebuilding cards that didn't have an annual fee because I plan to keep them longterm with minimal usage to keep them open. My husband though didn't make that choice and a couple of his cards have annual fees. So it leads to the debate of whether or not it's worth it to keep them open. I'm leaning towards no on his Capital One Platinum as it's been at $300 for a long time. Though, we're going to wait until all his accounts are at least two years old before closing that one. So, another year of paying the annual fee.

Yeah, I want my other cards to reach atleast 2 years before closing it out. It just annoys me to no end when they try and be sneaky.

Goal 800+
Message 9 of 13
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

By posting the fee on the last day of the cycle, they are minimizing interest charges for anyone who is carrying a balance.     I think this is more important to most customers than your utilization games.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.