Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPITAL ONE MEMBER FEE

tag
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

CAPITAL ONE MEMBER FEE

Hello,

After many years of receiving no membership fees on any of my credit cards I received a $29.00 fee from Capital One. I called the BackDoor number and spoke with a very nice lady that said they were not able to waive the charge at this time. I've heard here that sometimes calling again and getting a different person can have a different outcome. Do you think I should keep calling until I get somebody that can waive the charge?

Thank you,

RozBuds

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DI
Super Contributor

Re: CAPITAL ONE MEMBER FEE

That very nice lady wasn't so nice if she didn't waived the membership fee.  CSR's are actors.  I would have demanded to speak with a supervisor to get the annual fee waived.  Did Cap 1 send you notice you would charge a membership fee?  I been with Cap 1  since 2001.  I have the No Hassle Point Reward card.  I do not pay a membership fee.  And I never will. 

I would call back and request to have the fee waived if your account is in impeccable standing. 

Message 2 of 3
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

Re: CAPITAL ONE MEMBER FEE

Mine is $29 too. I have a 5.9% life of loan balance transfer going at the moment so I don't plan on calling them about that till it's paid off, they have leverage cause they know I have a good deal and would love to see me walk out of that over $29.

I would visit their web site, pick out a card you like that they have that shows $0 annual fee, then call and ask that your card be changed. I would also pick out a good reason like "the current card gives me no cash back and I want to start using my card for all my purchases", something like that. Also, make sure your balance is $0 when you call, I don't think you have much leverage if you are carrying a balance. $0 means they aren't making any money off you. Switching and getting you to charge seems in their best interest then this way.

Most importantly, be nice. Not sure if they do it or if it's possible, but waitress can spit in your food if you are a jerk, cc company representatives might spit on your terms if you are jerk. -Just don't give up, try a few times and at different times of the day. Try the backdoor number too.

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.